Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tuning Question

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Kept messing around with it and just couldn’t get it quite perfect. When I went back to shoot again the next day the bare shafts were hitting angled. I got frustrated and headed in to see my favorite guy at the local bow shop. He spent about two hours free of charge trying to help me tune. He noticed my rest was getting halfway up and falling back down then coming up, I’d been hearing it make a popping sounds at full draw a lot. This was the one that was on when my bow exploded and I’d had it for five years prior so we put on a new QAD and the arrows flew through paper much more consistently but still were slightly nock left no matter how far right the rest was to the right.
These were 340 spine arrows I’d bought before reading up much on spine, I tried 300 spine and they were nock left, then black eagle 250 spine and they were perfect bullet holes. What I was hoping to be simple tuning turned into a new rest and arrows but with a 30 inch draw length and 70 pound fast bow it makes sense that I needed something stiffer. @Milo does that spine sound reasonable for my setup in your opinion?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did you guys try moving the rest left (away from the riser) instead? Did that make it worse? 250 seems stiff to me unless you're actually shooting a full-length arrow, then I could see it being about right. Did the bow tech check to see how much cam lean your bow has?

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Did you guys try moving the rest left (away from the riser) instead? Did that make it worse? 250 seems stiff to me unless you're actually shooting a full-length arrow, then I could see it being about right. Did the bow tech check to see how much cam lean your bow has?

Yeah I moved it left on my own and it definitely made bare shafts worse not better. I will be back there for a bit today and can have them take a look at cam lean, I think he looked at it but can’t remember for sure. I think the arrows are pretty close to full length because of draw length

Reactions: jagermeister

Milo

Tatonka guide.
300’s are correct for your setup. If you adjust the cam lean it should push the arrow away from the riser. By adjust I mean add cam lean towards the cable slide. That will also allow you to shoot 300’s

Last edited:

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
300’s are correct for your setup. If you adjust the cam lean it should push the arrow away from the riser. By adjust I mean add cam lean towards the cable slide. That will also allow you to shoot 300’s

Thank you. I had the rest at one spot that was as close to the riser as possible without contact. Both 340s and 300s were nock left but 250s were bullet holes. Not knowing better I bought some 250s. However, I went to sight in last night and my rest ripped the bottom left fletchings off all the arrows and they came out half sideways. Obviously the rest timing is off but I’m not knowledgeable enough to fix it and don’t have time to take it to a further away shop since I’m leaving to New Mexico from work tomorrow. I shouldn’t have tried to mess with things. I think they will make it right free of charge today because I called them last night and it obviously was their screw up not tightening something down or something along those lines. Your suggestion would be for them to take back the 250s and try to get 300s and look at cam lean? Bit lost at the moment, I really regret not waiting until after my trip to try and fix this.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Go to 300’sand tip the top cam towArds the cable slide. Start with two twists on the yoke. From facing the back of the bow. Put two twists into the yoke leg on the left and take two twists out of the yoke leg on the right.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Went back, the cord for the rest had slipped and it was coming up late. Fixed the timing, turned the cock vane to straight left and it shot perfect. Shot all six arrows at 20 and everything was perfect. The arrows have a halfsert/outsert kind of thing that does weaken the spine a bit so it’s not a true 250.
I’m going to make these work for my trip then go back through and check everything later. If things aren’t perfect then I would love to get more advice from you, just need to have this thing sighted in in 24 hours for NM
The arrows are the Black eagle Rampage

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
How did the cord “slip”?

When he was changing the timing he just didn’t screw it down well is my assumption. I don’t exactly know, both bottom fletchings were screwed up on every arrow so the rest timing being off would make sense. We checked it and it was definitely coming up way late.Disappointed in the bow shop but they’ve never charged me for hours of tuning help or for refletching these arrows at least. Definitely motivated to try and do more of this myself in the future.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
When he was changing the timing he just didn’t screw it down well is my assumption. I don’t exactly know, both bottom fletchings were screwed up on every arrow so the rest timing being off would make sense. We checked it and it was definitely coming up way late.Disappointed in the bow shop but they’ve never charged me for hours of tuning help or for refletching these arrows at least. Definitely motivated to try and do more of this myself in the future.
If the rest wasn’t coming all the way up, then there isn’t any way your fletchings would hit unless you weren’t getting full activation to make the rest fall. Your vertical elevations would have been off also. Did he relevel the arrow in the rest all the way up?

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
If the rest wasn’t coming all the way up, then there isn’t any way your fletchings would hit unless you weren’t getting full activation to make the rest fall. Your vertical elevations would have been off also. Did he relevel the arrow in the rest all the way up?

The rest was coming all the way up, it was just falling almost instantly so the arrow never started a horizontal travel and the fletchings and arrow ending up flying off the rest that was laid down and the shelf of the bow. You could see black marks on the fletching from where it had slid over the arms of the rest (at least that’s what I think was happening, you know better than I). And yes, the arrow is now level with the rest up if that is what you’re asking, not sure if I answered your questions or not