Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Unusual Marking on Deer

Deadeye Dick

Does anyone here have any insight into the nature of these parallel lines of light colored dots along the spine of a whitetail? I harvested a doe last year with these marks and saw a buck with the same markings about 10 miles from the original. I have trail cam pictures of the deer earlier (2018). Our local registered scorer and the taxidermist I use have not seen these before......I think its interesting and wonder about the nature of the marks. Any info is appreciated.
WGI_0042.JPG

at1010

*Supporting Member*

old response from PHD. Grant Woods but seems to be a genetic trait, as Jesse mentioned.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
It's been my experience seeing yearlings maintain their spots on top of their backs for nearly their entire first year or even then some. I attached just one example below from last season of many that I have captured either by photo or video over the past five years. There are many of them I have captured on film.

IHMO, it is not uncommon to see fainted white spots on the back of a young deer nearly reaching its first year of adulthood. I assume the photograph you shared is a trailcam photo. I'm sure I have some of those as well in my archives. Anyhow, like I said, the one example below is of a button buck and you can clearly see the white spots on his back while I was 10' right above him.

BTW, interesting member name you have... I admit, it made me chuckle at first glance. Welcome to the forum!