Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison Mississippi Roast

Matt

Norton, OH
I believe I got this recipe originally from a Field and Stream Facebook post but have since made a few modifications, one of which being to make it easy for a slow cooker, which I find to be the best way to make this. I've made a few modifications to be Keto- friendly, mainly the coconut flour, but you can for sure use regular flour and canola oil. Try making your own mayo if you want to avoid the soy there too.

Mississippi Roast—Wild Style

Ingredients
3 to 4 lb. elk, or other, venison roast
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Coconut flour
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
1.5 stick (12 Tbsp.) butter
10-12 pepperoncini
6 Tbsp. mayonnaise
6 tsp. pepperoncini brine (or vinegar)
1.5 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
3 teaspoon buttermilk

Directions

1. Season the roast on all side with kosher salt and black pepper. Dust with flour.

2. Make the ranch dressing by whisking the mayo, brine, dill, and paprika together in a small bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk and let chill for a few minutes to allow the flavors to incorporate.

3. Heat the oil in a pan set over medium-high heat. When the oil is just smoking, add the roast and brown well, about 5 minutes per side.

4. Place the roast in a slow cooker and pour the ranch dressing over the roast. Cut the butter into 12 slices and place the slices on and around the roast. Add the pepperoncini on and around the roast.

5. Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Shred and serve over mashed potatoes or other favorite side. (I'm rolling with mashed cauliflower and asparagus myself.)

Just threw this in the crock pot. It's probably my favorite deer recipe I have. It's a bit more complicated than a traditional Mississippi Roast because you make your own ranch dressing, but I fond this little bit of extra work makes a huge difference. More pics of the finished product to come later.
20190218_143851.jpg