Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weekend trip

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jamie and I made out first trip together to Lake Erie. We drove up Sunday morning. We met up with Dr.Saggy Sack at the launch ramp and headed out. We had good intel from Chad and our buddy, Nick. It was a little bumpy by the time we reached our first spot. Nick had already been anchored up for a couple hours before we arrived and had enjoyed a good bite. With the building waves and wind, the bite slowed...stopped shortly after we set anchor. We picked up five good fish there but decided to go looking elsewhere. We fished from about 10-6, finished with just 21 perch. They were all quality perch, but it sucked.
I have fished the west side of the islands for just a couple summers now. I hate that side. For me, it’s always feast or famine. One day we get em, the next we don’t. With that said, I’ve never lost my love of the island area. I booked a room by East harbor for Sunday night and felt confident we’d get em on Monday. I was pretty sure we would get our perch and limits of walleye, in fact.
So we rolled out of Mazurik and set down less than a mile from the ramp to start the morning. We had a slow, steady pick of really high quality perch for an hour or so, but we were hoping to find a bigger pack of fish that were quicker to bite. We moved east into a big pack of boats in front of Marblehead. We finished our limits there with a steady pick but the quality was not as good.
We pulled the anchor and headed east of Kelley’s to find walleye. We covered a lot of water to eventually find a very, very small pack of active fish. We pulled four keepers and lost a couple before the building east wind made it to much of a pain in my tail to keep circling the very small area of active fish.
I probably won’t go back up this year but I certainly enjoyed the company of Jamie and Steve, as always. Steve and Jamie had not previously met but I think they will again. There was talk of a joint squirrel hunt... I feel a little like a match-maker.
Thanks for going, Jamie. I look forward to the next adventure.
C3EB2ABF-3C6E-40E5-AE16-19727E760B80.jpeg
BD65ED60-98D7-42C3-BD29-D90B91763958.jpeg
EBD99B9A-0C0A-403F-951B-D26E2D294A00.jpeg
493F3186-F912-4FFB-B704-889D15D69BC4.jpeg
FC0592FA-5B8A-4BE0-8F72-91BA30396C1A.jpeg

Attachments

• 9A5D9C61-CB0F-474B-9421-BDFD129F4F41.jpeg
    9A5D9C61-CB0F-474B-9421-BDFD129F4F41.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 278

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You’ll need to ask him. You will then understand why my bride labeled him Dr Saggy Sack.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome time Brock. I haven't seen Dr fuckface in probably 12 years. Man where does time go.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
With a nickname like that: who wouldn't want to meet this guy? 😁
He is truly a joy to be around. There are only a handful of people that make me laugh regularly. He’s one of them. When it comes to cracking an inappropriate joke directly at someone, it’s entirely possible, even likely, you will offend them. Not the case with DSS... he laughs at himself as quickly as others. Good times with redneck friends on a boat are hard to beat.