Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Went For A Dive Yesterday...

Fletch

Supporting Member
So yesterday I went with a friend to help prep a spot for next deer season... Wanted to hang a stand then trim needed shooting lanes... Got stand hung at 20 ft. I got in it to guide him what needed cut... Plan was then to take it all down and put up a different stand and sticks in Aug. Took stand down and while taking sticks down one of the straps holding the third set of sticks loosened up... As I started leaning further and further from the tree, that's when that " OH SHIT FEELING SET IN... Rode the stick till it snapped... When it snapped I was about 10 ft up... Hit the ground with a thud... Friend ran over, you ok??? Got up brushed my self off and said: I'm fine... I've never trusted them straps they give you with sticks and always add a rachet strap as insurance... These were his sticks and straps... So take this as a warning... ADD RACHET STRAPS TO ANY SETUP... Finished the day shed hunting and found none... Surprised I got up this morning and felt great, no sore muscles or bones... In fact gonna take 2 buckets of Lucky Buck in the woods...

Damn! Glad you are ok after that! Adding an extra ratchet strap here and there might take a little longer but it’s assurance that you’ll be able to walk home after. I guess the thought of putting it up temporarily and back down might cause us to take shortcuts but this is a good example of how it can bite you.

Reactions: xbowguy and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Damn! Glad you are ok after that! Adding an extra ratchet strap here and there might take a little longer but it’s assurance that you’ll be able to walk home after. I guess the thought of putting it up temporarily and back down might cause us to take shortcuts but this is a good example of how it can bite you.
I usually am extra cautious with stands I hang... I even put and extra ratchet strap on the stand itself, never just trusting the strap it comes with... I also always put a screw in step in the tree where I can grab when getting on and off the ladder... Another thing I do which has nothing to do with the steps or the stand...
When traversing either onto the steps or into the stand... I do not step over the cables that support the stand... Instead I step into the edge of the stand with my toes under the cables... With both feet on the edge of the stand I then step over the cables... It has always been my feeling that stepping over the cable from a foot or more you could catch a toe or pants on cable and take a dive... Esp. with some pants that have ties at bottom of legs... Don't worry if hung right the stand will support your standing on the edge...

Fletch

Supporting Member
That is exactly what happened to me in 2015 from 20 feet. Really glad you are ok! Life lines and ratchet straps are added to all set ups now.
A lineman’s rope on the way up and down would also keep you from getting far enough from the tree to allow this to happen.
I have been adding a life line to my setups during hunting season now.... Like I said, I always add a extra ratchet strap wherever there is a strap... Yesterday when at the top actually hanging the stand I had a strap around me and the tree to free up both hands..
Another thing I never leave a stand up all winter... Guys laugh at me saying it's going back up next year in the same spot... Leave it.. Nope Mother Nature just weakens stuff...

That's twice a stick almost got me... Out in Illinois couple years back, me and my friend were moving a stand that was up for a few years... One of the top sections of steps grew into the tree... So we were both on the ground and he poked at it with other sticks to loosen it... It came free and was coming down, I jumped back and tripped which laid me out flat... I ended up falling into a ditch that was about 7 ft deep and coming down stretched out flat back first across a log... My back was black and blue for a month...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Rich!!! So glad you weren’t seriously hurt man!!!! Dang, very lucky for sure! Great point about weather or other factors weakening sets if left out for future years.

Reactions: Fletch

Stressless

Keene, OH
LineMans Belt ALWAYS! Glad you didn't twist in the 1/3 of a second free fall and land on your neck, land on a downed tree across your back, etc etc...

Life Lines are great but when setting up a new stand or taking down an old one as Fletch was doing It's not avaialble and you are most vulnerable to a fall.

Yes ratchet strap to increase the odds that you won't fall but 100% attach at all times when climbing. Let's not loose someone to a crippling injury or death needlessly. got this about ten years ago and use it always - it's not if it's when one single element of the stand or sticks fails.

God bless your luck!

1616419556295.png

The only thing I've added/modified to this system is the one handed climbing element much safer to use that the prusik knot that comes with it.
1616420093722.png

Product and info / reviews at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D52J30

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks again guys... Here's the stick where it snapped, actually not bad as I'm 245 lbs. and I rode that stick till it was almost horizontal... Earlier I lowered the stand down to my friend and he set it away from the tree but with seat sticking up as in pic... I landed within a foot of it... If I landed on it I would have be quite sore....

Attachments

• PXL_20210322_153204217.jpg
    PXL_20210322_153204217.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20210322_153236947.jpg
    PXL_20210322_153236947.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 85

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Dang all that just to set up for next October? Glad your okay and be thankful that all you got from it was a scary ride down in a hurry. Once we leave the ground chances of us getting down increases, hopefully on our terms. Shit happens, learn from it and move on.

I hate putting ladder stands up more than anything. Seems my fat ass when laying on the platform to put a ratchet strap around the tree is the sketchiest part.