Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's got the itch?

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
The jumbo perch don't have the case of lock jaw, they are simply not there anymore. The first year the res was reopened for ice fishing, i caught a lot of nice perch and i only saw 3 other guys fishing all ice season. Every year after, more and more people heard about the bite and before long there were a ton of people out there. There were soooooo many jumbos taken out of there from 2007-2008 that there are simply not many left anymore. When the big ones started to disappear, I started to see people walking off the ice with a limit of 5-6 inch perch. Last year, the fishing was not very good at all for most. There were a couple of days when I caught some 7-9" perch but nothing like it used to be. I live 5 minutes away and was driving an hour to the lake to perch fish. Talking to the guys who fish there this summer, they said it was the worst summer they can remember for perch. A res of this size simply cannot support the fishing pressure it received for a while and still hold good numbers of fish. Hope this doesn't sound too negative, but facts are facts. I will still hit the res a few times this winter when I am short on time, but it definitely won't be my first choice.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds a lot like what happened to Beaver Creek years ago. The state stocks it every other year I believe, but it just can't handle the fishing pressure. That sucks to hear, dude. Oh well... I'll probably do some fishing there anyway. The wife's family lives near there so we're always around that area.