Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WV adds 19,000 acres of public land in the NW part of the state.

https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-...s-of-public-hunting-to-northwestern-counties/

Nearly 19,000 acres of forest lands in West Virginia’s northwestern counties will soon become public lands for hunting and wildlife recreation.

The Conservation Fund announced the acquisition of 18,778 acres in Wirt, Wood, Jackson, Calhoun, Pleasants, Ritchie and Doddridge Counties. The lands were made available through the organizations’ Working Forest Fund.” The Conservation Fund will hold onto the property and eventually transfer it to the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources in phases as money becomes available to buy it through the Pittman-Robertson Act, in which excise taxes paid on firearms, ammunition, and archery equipment are dedicated toward the purchase of hunting lands across the country. License dollars and mitigation dollars from pipeline construction in West Virginia along with donated funds are also being used to seal the purchase.

Once fully deeded to the state, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources intends to create five new Wildlife Management Areas from the property and expand four existing Wildlife Management Areas along with part of North Bend State Park. Those WMA’s to be expanded include Frozen Camp WMA, Ritchie Mines WMA, Sand Hill WMA, and Hughes River WMA.

“We’re proud to partner with the WVDNR in this ongoing effort to conserve important wildlife habitat and permanently protect these lands as new and expanded WMAs and a State Park addition, which will deliver both economic and environmental benefits for local communities in an area of the state lacking in public lands,” said Joe Hankins, Vice President for The Conservation Fund. “Endeavors like this wouldn’t be possible without a long-term vision for public access and conservation, as well as creativity, good timing and collaborations between state, federal and private partners.”

“Working collaboratively and in partnership with The Conservation Fund, Governor Justice, local communities and the energy sector, the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources now has the opportunity to expand its public land base and provide enhanced opportunities for wildlife-associated recreation,” said WVDNR Director Stephen McDaniel. “These lands will be managed to enhance essential wildlife habitat for a variety of forestland species. Hunters, anglers and others interested in wildlife will directly benefit from these conservation efforts.”

The acquired lands feature interior woodland habitat and intact forested watersheds which will provide essential habitat for a variety of endangered and threatened bird, bat and mussel species. This conservation effort is complimented by the WVDNR’s recent acquisition of 12,440 acres in Jackson, Pleasants, Ritchie and Wirt Counties made possible, in part, by funding and technical assistance made available for habitat impacts anticipated to arise through construction of the Mountaineer XPress Project, the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, and the Supply Header Project in partnership with the WVDNR and The Conservation Fund.

The first transfer of land is expected to happen in the first quarter of 2019. The Conservation Fund has been active in such projects before. The fund was instrumental in acquiring the 32,000 acres which make up the Earl Ray Tomblin Wildlife Management Area in Logan County which was created for the expressed purpose of the reintroduction of elk into West Virginia

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is fantastic! I need to check out the WVDNR website. Been spending a lot of time on KYFW website lately. It is very informative and has interactive maps to public hunting lands. It even has a break down of deer checked in for each WMA. I can see me spending more time in KY in the future. Maybe WVa as well from the looks of this. Thanks for sharing!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That is fantastic! I need to check out the WVDNR website. Been spending a lot of time on KYFW website lately. It is very informative and has interactive maps to public hunting lands. It even has a break down of deer checked in for each WMA. I can see me spending more time in KY in the future. Maybe WVa as well from the looks of this. Thanks for sharing!

Alex went down to Ky in search of a buck to shoot. Dumped 400lbs of corn and a cellular camera. Between the deer and turkeys it was completely gone in 6 days. Funny thing is i've never seen KY try to claim the deer are beyond the carrying capacity of the land. 😒

rooster85

Lake County
Been wanting to hunt WV for a few years. Might need to head that way in the next season or two. Early season KY whitetail would also be kick ass.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Alex went down to Ky in search of a buck to shoot. Dumped 400lbs of corn and a cellular camera. Between the deer and turkeys it was completely gone in 6 days. Funny thing is i've never seen KY try to claim the deer are beyond the carrying capacity of the land. 😒

And they do everything backwards according to the professionals. Gun season during the rut? No antler restrictions. Massive quantities of public ground. Season starts a month earlier than most. Center fire rifles? I'll give them credit, they made immediate adjustments after the EHD outbreaks last year.

Back to WVA focus: I'd call it another sleeper state like KY. They have some archery only counties that ARE producing some world class deer. I'm not complaining about my Ohio areas to hunt. I am shopping for land out of state though. Might need to move to KY within close range of OH and WV.

And they do everything backwards according to the professionals. Gun season during the rut? No antler restrictions. Massive quantities of public ground. Season starts a month earlier than most. Center fire rifles? I'll give them credit, they made immediate adjustments after the EHD outbreaks last year.

Back to WVA focus: I'd call it another sleeper state like KY. They have some archery only counties that ARE producing some world class deer. I'm not complaining about my Ohio areas to hunt. I am shopping for land out of state though. Might need to move to KY within close range of OH and WV.

Yes WV has been producing some good deer recently in some places. Right now I just wouldn't have the time to hunt to make it worth buying a license, but when the kids are out of the house then I may take a look at it. I am only 15 minutes from home to the WV panhandle and less than that from camp to get across the Ohio River.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've fed deer by hand at North Bend. I also live directly across the river from Wood County and I buy a license to hunt the river for waterfowl. Their license comes with a buck tag too. Not a bad deal.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Copied from WVDNR web page:

Wildlife Management Area Acquisitions:
The acquisition of Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) is a critical component of the Wildlife Resources Section's effort to fulfill its mission to the citizens of West Virginia. Spurred by the decline in public access to private land and by the continued destruction of critical habitats, the WMA Program enables wildlife biologists to conserve and manage habitat to benefit all wildlife species. At the present time, 1.4 million acres, representing eight percent of the state's total land area are managed by the Wildlife Resources Section for public wildlife associated recreation.

1.4 million acres and adding more! Good for them.
NR hunting license: $119
NR archery tag: $32
Looks like they increase in tag prices as you add more. Interesting concept. Might make one think twice before depleting their herd. I'd be down for that in Ohio (although it only affects a small percentage of the hunters and none of the "hunters" who don't plan on checking in.)

So far their webpage is decent. All the letters for their licenses and tags is confusing. Need to do some reading to figure it out. All WMA's are listed with available maps but not quite as inviting as KY website.

Copied from WVDNR web page:

Wildlife Management Area Acquisitions:
The acquisition of Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) is a critical component of the Wildlife Resources Section's effort to fulfill its mission to the citizens of West Virginia. Spurred by the decline in public access to private land and by the continued destruction of critical habitats, the WMA Program enables wildlife biologists to conserve and manage habitat to benefit all wildlife species. At the present time, 1.4 million acres, representing eight percent of the state's total land area are managed by the Wildlife Resources Section for public wildlife associated recreation.

1.4 million acres and adding more! Good for them.
NR hunting license: $119
NR archery tag: $32
Looks like they increase in tag prices as you add more. Interesting concept. Might make one think twice before depleting their herd. I'd be down for that in Ohio (although it only affects a small percentage of the hunters and none of the "hunters" who don't plan on checking in.)

So far their webpage is decent. All the letters for their licenses and tags is confusing. Need to do some reading to figure it out. All WMA's are listed with available maps but not quite as inviting as KY website.

Yes I just looked at their license. WOw is that alot of different letters. I will wait until I decide to hunt over there before I figure that out. LOL.