Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2023-2024 Pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Gotta love sitting down for a morning grumpy, opening the app and seeing a buck you've been hoping to see! This is the buck I missed during muzzy season. He broke the drop off last year while shedding his velvet. There's probably 6 guys trying to kill this deer and with only 11 acres here at the house, my chances are 0.001% - but at least there's a chance! This is the exact buck I've dreamed about my whole life: An OBB 8 point with a droptine. Add that big old 5.5 year old body and it would be a dream come true. I won't get to live it, but I'd rather flirt with it than never have even the smallest chance!

cb7de0c6-d2fa-4170-9a58-5790f8fe0f3f.jpg

b7e5a2b3-a208-4dbc-9f91-5a5f3fd0ca81.jpg

bc87c140-a361-4395-a0ce-10aae3a0f252.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Active night on the best scrape I've ever monitored. It's been my barometer for the phases of the rut for years and the real-time feedback from cell cams has been an awesome tool to have. This scrape was covered in leaves at 5:39P last night. I still haven't hunted out here, but the time is very near. Very likely Sunday night. 😁

9b34c0eb-b462-450b-8b78-34f5149fe319.jpg

In a perfect world, this deer gets another year. I won't risk it, but man I'd love to see him next year!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have pics of this deer from a neighbor that I'm not going to share here since they're not mine, but this is my first pic of him that I know of. Great frame that's eerily similar to Daryl Dawkins and Moe from years past. He's got a split G2 on one side and some trash on his bases, making him the new #1. So I went from no shooters to 3 in a month! That's with 2 getting shot already, which means there were plenty of big bucks in the area, they just avoid our farm until October for the most part. I won't hold my breath on seeing this buck, but I love knowing he's out there.

Screenshot_20231024_061947_Tactacam REVEAL.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have pics of this deer from a neighbor that I'm not going to share here since they're not mine, but this is my first pic of him that I know of. Great frame that's eerily similar to Daryl Dawkins and Moe from years past. He's got a split G2 on one side and some trash on his bases, making him the new #1. So I went from no shooters to 3 in a month! That's with 2 getting shot already, which means there were plenty of big bucks in the area, they just avoid our farm until October for the most part. I won't hold my breath on seeing this buck, but I love knowing he's out there.

View attachment 186552
We were just talking about this (hanging grapevine) at strouds the other day….. 👍🏼

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Got this video last week, then ran into the neighbor kid this week. If you walk out our back door and keep walking due W about 3/4 of a mile, you'll walk by his grandparents house before hitting his front porch. His dad killed the buck we called Buddy last year and he shot one that I helped finish off during gun season.

Anyways... we start shooting the shit and I asked if he's seen the droptine buck. We both laughed because we know the whole damn neighborhood has him on cam at this point. I told him about a "clubbed droptine buck I had on cam in 2018-2019" after he'd said they had 6 years of pics of this deer. Well after I got in the truck, I got to thinking about that pic, particularly if the drop was as clubbed as I'd remembered, so I pulled it up. I immediately realized it wasn't, then looked at the file details and it was from 2021. Son of a bitch, it's the same buck!

I saw him again that night and corrected myself, then he showed me a pic of the sheds from '21. A true stud of a buck! This pic was the week of Thanksgiving and every year, I get a pic of a random giant making one last, big loop to find the final doe and that year it was him. There's a 0.00001% that I kill this buck (if he's still alive) but I'm happy to just to have had a chance to put a little history together with him. Sure wish I'd have killed him last year though!

IMG_20211118_180647_386.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Moved some cams around yesterday midday and I managed to get lucky with one of my cell cams. I took a Verizon network SpyPoint Micro down in the Pond Holler and was pleasantly surprised that it worked. This is the spot I set up for Kaydence and other youth hunters. Morning #1 and our #1 comes through, giving a perfect 25 yard shot. I've got my 🤞 that we can keep him alive and maybe see him at some point. Getting her a shot on him would be the highlight of my career!

Screenshot_20231117_112316_SPYPOINT.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Must suck to be you in the deer woods. It’s all about perspective to me. What we have plenty, we don’t appreciate as much. What we don’t, we salivate over. Good luck this year. Not saying you don’t appreciate your deer, it’s just coming from my perspective, because we don’t get those opportunities down here w great deer. Yes some toads get killed down here, but it’s like winning the lottery.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm the Buckeye fan that thought we could do better than McCord, so I'm going to call this buck Kyle going forward. If I lived in NC and rooted for NC State, I'd love to have Kyle on my team. If I only hunted public, I'd love to hunt Kyle. But being the spoiled ass private land hunting Buckeye that I am, poor Kyle leaves me wanting better. It's disappointing that Kyle is the best we can do, but I'm glad to see this Kyle didn't enter the transfer portal after last week. Not sure how much effort I'll put into him from here on out, but I'd love for Kaydence to get a shot at him. I'd like to redshirt him and see how he looks next year...

d1d112d5-164a-4857-8eec-a328745461f1.jpg

If I'm going to name bucks, might as well call this one Lincoln. He's a 4-star recruit that my neighbors from PA think is ready to start. I know he needs a year or two to develop, so I'm hoping to pick up a 5th year senior from the transfer portal so I have someone to carry the load while young Lincoln matures. I bet he looks great in action, but my patience will be rewarded if we can keep him safe and well fed!

Screenshot_20231206_071057_SPYPOINT.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'm the Buckeye fan that thought we could do better than McCord, so I'm going to call this buck Kyle going forward. If I lived in NC and rooted for NC State, I'd love to have Kyle on my team. If I only hunted public, I'd love to hunt Kyle. But being the spoiled ass private land hunting Buckeye that I am, poor Kyle leaves me wanting better. It's disappointing that Kyle is the best we can do, but I'm glad to see this Kyle didn't enter the transfer portal after last week. Not sure how much effort I'll put into him from here on out, but I'd love for Kaydence to get a shot at him. I'd like to redshirt him and see how he looks next year...

View attachment 188688

If I'm going to name bucks, might as well call this one Lincoln. He's a 4-star recruit that my neighbors from PA think is ready to start. I know he needs a year or two to develop, so I'm hoping to pick up a 5th year senior from the transfer portal so I have someone to carry the load while young Lincoln matures. I bet he looks great in action, but my patience will be rewarded if we can keep him safe and well fed!

View attachment 188689
Man great bucks and frames? You figure both are 3?! Absolutely have potential to blow up -imo. Although many seem to not but man when you find the special deer that does, it makes it all worth it!! Best of luck man!!

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lol, ure lucky were not neighbors.
I don't keep track of the forkies and 6-points ;)

Man great bucks and frames? You figure both are 3?! Absolutely have potential to blow up -imo. Although many seem to not but man when you find the special deer that does, it makes it all worth it!! Best of luck man!!
I've tried to convince myself that Kyle is 4, but I've never bought in. It's just been hard to accept that we only have 3-year-olds and nothing older on our farm. I know there's a bigger/older one across the road, but he's never ventured over to our side. We also had a big 4 or 5-year-old get killed a mile north that I had velvet pics of. So yeah, if I were a betting man, I'd say both are 3.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I don't keep track of the forkies and 6-points ;)

I've tried to convince myself that Kyle is 4, but I've never bought in. It's just been hard to accept that we only have 3-year-olds and nothing older on our farm. I know there's a bigger/older one across the road, but he's never ventured over to our side. We also had a big 4 or 5-year-old get killed a mile north that I had velvet pics of. So yeah, if I were a betting man, I'd say both are 3.

Hope ya can kill one and find out!

And those smaller bucks, they just taste better than 4yr olds😁