Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another one....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Why would killing people in public deter more than execution in a building? I think not letting people sit on death row for 20 years might. They need to come up with a better system. Maybe something like one appeal and Max of one year of waiting. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to watch someone die right in front of me.
Hearing of an execution does not have the same effect of seeing an execution. I saw "faces of death " when I was a kid. Seeing a mans eyes burst from his head while sitting in an electric chair had an effect. I can't remember a lot of things I saw when I was 10, but I remember that. I think a public execution or two would have a positive effect on society's attitude. Seeing death firsthand gives a greater appreciation for life.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hearing of an execution does not have the same effect of seeing an execution. I saw "faces of death " when I was a kid. Seeing a mans eyes burst from his head while sitting in an electric chair had an effect. I can't remember a lot of things I saw when I was 10, but I remember that. I think a public execution or two would have a positive effect on society's attitude. Seeing death firsthand gives a greater appreciation for life.

That it does. Seen it a few times and I don't care if I ever see it in person again. (thank you JTFD)

I also watched Faces of Death in my teens and seen a firing squad light up a few fellers. That was interesting for sure.

Jamie

Ohio
None of this makes sense because it was meant to happen.

it's getting harder by the minute to deny the possibility. but why?

I'm pretty cynical, but it's hard for me to truly consider that there are forces at work here orchestrating mass shootings as part of a larger plan. I acknowledge that human beings are capable of far worse, but this notion takes nefarious to a whole new level in my head.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I believe the last thing on a shooters mind is wow, I might get the death penalty for my actions....
Most of them off themselves before giving law enforcement or anyone else the chance to stop them with lethal force...

As a human being, I have a a hard time wrapping my head around that there would be people in society (other then the shooter(s) ) who would allow this to go on if they new it was going to happen. If there is, then they’d get a speedy trial and execution on the way to their jail cell..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How can four officers of the law stay back and choose not to engage!?!? Even if given orders, who would actually obey them in that scenario? I can't wrap my head around it. I'd give my life to help save a bunch of kids without even batting an eye... And I'm no cop. It makes me sick.
Ready for a secret. Despite the catchy "Protect and Serve" slogan on the patrol car bumper the supreme court has ruled that police officers are under no obligation to protect anyone from anything. There is nothing that states they are to knowingly put themselves in harms way to save your life. In dangerous situations most are told to pull back, call for backup, and wait for swat to arrive. In the Vegas shooting the gunman started shooting at 9:59 and it lasted until 10:09 (10 min) police arrived at his room at 10:17 (18 min after the shooting began) but didn't breech the room until 11:20, a full hour and 3 minutes after they arrived. In a lot of these shooting situations they tout "police were on scene within 4 minutes" what you hardly ever hear was "police engaged the suspect within xyz minutes". I know we have a lot of brave men and women in law enforcement. Many who likely would have gone charging in like the Coral police officer did. But there are many who are there to do their 20 and out and would ratber let swat handle it. Police officers aren't soldiers whose duty it is to take the fight to the enemy and win.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ready for a secret. Despite the catchy "Protect and Serve" slogan on the patrol car bumper the supreme court has ruled that police officers are under no obligation to protect anyone from anything. There is nothing that states they are to knowingly put themselves in harms way to save your life. In dangerous situations most are told to pull back, call for backup, and wait for swat to arrive. In the Vegas shooting the gunman started shooting at 9:59 and it lasted until 10:09 (10 min) police arrived at his room at 10:17 (18 min after the shooting began) but didn't breech the room until 11:20, a full hour and 3 minutes after they arrived. In a lot of these shooting situations they tout "police were on scene within 4 minutes" what you hardly ever hear was "police engaged the suspect within xyz minutes". I know we have a lot of brave men and women in law enforcement. Many who likely would have gone charging in like the Coral police officer did. But there are many who are there to do their 20 and out and would ratber let swat handle it. Police officers aren't soldiers whose duty it is to take the fight to the enemy and win.

Added their skills for a lot of them are only tested on the range once or twice a year....
Most of the local yokels up here are at the range a couple times a month.... They’re a competitive bunch....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Added their skills for a lot of them are only tested on the range once or twice a year....
Most of the local yokels up here are at the range a couple times a month.... They’re a competitive bunch....
The FBI reports that the average hit ratio for police officers is approximately 90% at paper. For officer-involved shootings with a single officer the hit ratio is about 40%, when multiple officers are involved it goes down to about 12 to 15%. When an officer engages a gunman in an active shooter situation the officer is wounded or killed 49% of the time.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There were so many red flags or warning signs that were glaring before this latest shooting but one that hasn’t been brought up yet by anyone or discussed that I have seen is, What was the Uber driver that picked this nutcase up and dropped him off thinking?!?!?!?! Really? A weird looking/acting teen is carrying a long object wrapped up in a black blanket(what was reported) and requested to be dropped off at a school late in the day or close to when school should be letting out?!?! Our school our girls went to HS at had a camera with a locked door and buzzer type system that required you to be identified and give reason for visit before being let in.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
On Thursday all of Oregon State was on high alert because some dumbass threatened to shoot up the school on twitter multiple times. There have been around ten kids arrested for threatening school/mass shootings IN THE STATE OF OREGON ALONE SINCE THE PARKLAND SHOOTING. Wtf is wrong with people. (Also I go to school at Oregon State if you don't remember, not just a random Oregon fact)