Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boarhead's Coyote Snaring 2014

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Same here! I'm in the same boat down there!

If you get all their coyotes I have some for you here too. Has been an awesome thread and inspiring. I'm going to try to thin them out on my hunting grounds next year and would be willing to pay you to come here and help me get set up if you'd be interested or have the time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hell of a job man! I went shed hunting today after work and found fresh yote shit on a trail that I had snared, I took them down last week:mad:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1395938166879.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938200368.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938220896.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938247998.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938285884.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938311946.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938346455.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395938370592.jpg No yotes today but did take a little walk and found one shed the tree rats worked on and saw some big rubs and one huge track coming out of one of the CRP fields.Will start looking in the fields for sheds in another week.The other pics are where I caught one yote and had one get out monday just to show you how much they tear up when they are caught if they don't get wrapped.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
this is the thread of the year by far

I agree! It's been awhile since I've visited it but what Brian has accomplished and shared on here is TOO GOOD! Thanks for sharing Brian on great job on the yotes! Good luck on your quest for some sheds now!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
View attachment 20564View attachment 20565View attachment 20566View attachment 20569View attachment 20571securedownload[1] (12).jpgsecuredownload[2] (10).jpg Well I pulled most of my snares Saturday morning and finished pulling the rest today and the pics are of the before and after of my snares in the back of my truck the three yotes in the pics are the ones I picked out to have tanned this year and in the one pic looking away from my truck that strip of trees to the right is where I caught 16 yotes and the other pic is looking at my truck just liked the pic with the sun coming up. I really appreciate all the comments from all of you as it kept me motivated to keep after them and I will say that I am by far no expert at this snaring thing and continue to learn things all the time while out there but hope you guys may have learned a thing or two also and that maybe it even motivated a few of you to try it out next season once you learn how you can really get a set out in about 3 minutes so you can put a lot out in no time I would be more than willing to help you out with any questions or anything even if any of you want to visit and go on a ride along to check and learn more about it. I have also met a few of you guys that made it up to go along with me and now consider you good friends" Don and Rick" it was fun to text them after I made a catch and get their responses. I ended up catching 33 yotes plus had 6 either chew out or break the split ring but did recatch one of them. So my total on yotes count 33 plus I had a bow kill which makes 34 and the way I look at it that is 34 less yotes that wont be eating any fawns this spring and that is great as it should help my bowhunting areas out a lot. Also ended up catching 21 coons not even targeting them and like I told Don if I have the time next season might have to target them and try and catch a hundred or two as their are so many of them here. Also if you do get into the snaring I will say I would highly recommend dying your snares over just boiling them in baking soda as they just blend in so much better and if using cable stakes to always use two split rings as I found out some of the bigger yotes can strip them out if they get the right leverage. I will end by saying thanks guys again for the comments and hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did and God willing and having the time will do it again next year. It has been a fun ride.

Been great to follow along that's for sure!! I was going to ask you earlier and just reminded myself when reading what you wrote, why were you letting the coons loose this season? With all the spring turkey nests at risk and all I think I'd take them out just as readily as I would a yote. Man I cannot wait to see then next season's post get started LOL!!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been great to follow along that's for sure!! I was going to ask you earlier and just reminded myself when reading what you wrote, why were you letting the coons loose this season? With all the spring turkey nests at risk and all I think I'd take them out just as readily as I would a yote. Man I cannot wait to see then next season's post get started LOL!!
Hey Big Holla I kept all the coons up until our season went out the end of January after that we have to release them or be ticketed by the GW. Have to abide by the game laws.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brian I thought they weren't allowed too be released if caught they had too be euthanized? Or is hat just nuisance trapping?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Man, This has been a fun ride for sure! I'm gonna be needing shed texts to wean me off Brian. You definitely put a damper on the yotes so far. I'm looking forwards to next year already! You may not think of yourself as a Professional Snare-Man, but some of us do! :smiley_coolpeace: