Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason go huntin

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Our boy(s) both showed while we were in Athens. By the times they were there, we are close to where they were bedded on those days, which is where they were all of September. As far as I know, they haven't been by in a couple of days, so we are going in tonight hoping today is the day. If nothing else, I'm sure we'll see deer which is good enough at this point. I found one oak covered ridge at the back of the property with rubs and scrapes all over the place, but my suspicion is they are moving in that area after shooting light. These guys have lived too long on this heavily hunted place to be there with the sun up, I think. You just never know though... That's what makes it fun and frustrating at the same time! I know for a fact a deer that on most years I'd be thrilled to kill is using that ridge as I've seen him with 20 minutes of light left in there. It's gonna hurt to let that one walk, but we will. :(

I'm heading out of here in 15 minutes as soon as some of our employees come in. Gonna make it a rush to get to the tree, but we are going!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Always good when target deer stay on camera, it keeps hope and confidence up. The bright side of being in Athens when they showed is, you didn't know what you were missing ,when you could not shoot anyways.

Good luck to you and mason tonight.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like tonight is getting scratched off... Our employee that was supposed to be here at 5 has not shown up, won't answer the phone or texts. I hope he's ok, if he is I'm gonna kill him.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I went last night. I felt like we may get a crack at one of our targets but it didn't happen. Shortly after we settled in we heard a dog light up, running a deer. It wasn't long before a decent young buck came bounding out with a basset hound hot on his trail. We saw another deer right at dark, right under our stand but it wasn't one we were hoping to kill. The hunt continues....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have not been in the woods trying to kill a deer since last Wednesday. However, Thursday afternoon/evening I worked on our go-to set up. It is where we kill our target(s) if we do. I had this spot picked out this summer, knowing it's where we would be if we were still looking when the rut rolled around. I did some bushhoggin' to make the set up a little sweeter, set up our stand in a prime travel location and pulled the remaining cams. Looking at the weather, I will start hunting for real on Wednesday morning. It's time to get serious since we did not get them killed early. Mason will be up to bat Wednesday evening. To say we are ready to go would be an understatement, but we aren't going in until the weather cools. I just don't think it's worth the risk to go in when the weather will likely keep them bedded until after sundown. It's so close to go time, but not quite yet... the wait is horrible.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should add that I did not go this morning since Mason couldn't due to school. He gave me a bit of grief about that. I just explained that I didn't want to shoot "his" deer out from under him. He really, really does want one of us to get them, and told me so again. Heck, last week I told him we had a buck coming in and he whispered "Don't hesitate if its him, shoot it". So, with that being the case, starting Wednesday, every morning I'll be in there waiting. And by golly, if one of them shows up, I'm shooting! :)

Buckmaster

Portage
That's the attitude. Sharing and caring on "Team Ratcliff".

I try to put my Dad on deer more so than myself.

He's 68, I'm 43. I have a quite a few more years of chasing the Dream than the Ole Man. My son is now 6 so I hope to link the two of them together in another year or two God willing.

That will make for good memories and campfire chat.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Good deal Brock! Hope the best for you and Mason these next few weeks. I start my vacation Friday at 4:00 pm.
Keep me posted on stand if you two have any close encounters with the BONE kind.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I snuck out to our early season set up this evening. We weren't in the stand long before seeing 3 does. That got us excited as we were hoping they would stroll our way. Mason was hunting with his compound tonight and I gave him the green light to shoot a doe. They never came within range, nor did the other 2 does and small buck we later saw. It was a good evening's sit, we had a good time together again and that's all I care about when we hunt.

Having admitted to just wanting to enjoy a good time with Mason when we go, I gotta admit too that I'm excited as can be about tomorrow morning's hunt. I'm going in to the "kill stand" that I set up last Thursday. I expect to get an opportunity for one or both of us from that set at some point this season, we will be spending a lot of time there from here on out unless of course one of our targets strolls by sooner than later. I feel with every bone in my body this is the spot it will happen if it does. If nothing else, I imagine we will see deer there on most every sit, and that's good enough. Some stands talk to ya before you ever put a stand up, this one has sang to me for several years!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Good deal brock, It's great you guys spend time in the woods together. That boys a killer! Hopefully you guys can draw some blood this year. Goodluck tomm am.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had a good sit this morning. Had deer under the stand before sunrise, had a doe come through after sunrise, and saw a 120ish 8 about 9 am. Mason gets the hot seat this afternoon!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He might, but with him being so dang picky this year it will be a long shot at best. Still, I think we are in the right spot to get a look at 'em and you never know when the right one will come by. There won't be any doe shooting going on and I expect to have some under us by 630 or so. Dang, hunting is a lot more fun when you just go to get a deer!

I think I'll go up to Fayette Co in the morning. The timing is right, and I haven't hunted it much yet this year.