Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason go huntin

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The 150 is hard to believe. (But I believe it) Will have to say I'm still ridin' with Mason. "Can't kill a big one if ya already killed a little one".
Good Luck Fellas!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Every time this thread pops up I can't help but click hoping one of those big boys is on the ground lol.

Brock, I know what you mean about the people that just show up not putting in any work getting all the luck. I have been there done that with deer MUCH SMALLER then those bucks lol. Just the way it works it seems. FUGGERS anyway lol.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I gotta say, I really believe that Mason has an actual talent for this stuff....God-given talent...I'm really excited for him.
I think he's gonna stick a hawg.

God-given talent, paired with the best skill training a boy could get. The boy'z a natural.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I gotta say, I really believe that Mason has an actual talent for this stuff....God-given talent...I'm really excited for him.
I think he's gonna stick a hawg.

God-given talent, paired with the best skill training a boy could get. The boy'z a natural.
He is the next Carpn...lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Monday night one of our familiar bucks got whacked. We had seen him a couple of times, had a million pics of him too as he LOVED apples. One of the out of towners killed him after seeing him two times over the last few days. It was this fellas biggest deer and he seemed pretty happy with him. Mason and I only saw one small buck Monday afternoon.

Yesterday morning I went up to Fayette Co for only the 3rd time this year. Having deer in our back yard that we want to kill is enough to keep me from straying too far from home. However, I needed a change of scenery and there is a good chance of seeing a giant up there. You just never know. I had a good hunt. I think I saw about a half dozen antlerless deer, and three bucks. One of which was a really, really nice 10 that I'm guessing would score in the 140's. He walked directly under my stand and continued across a wide open field. Spooked me a bit to have him under me without me knowing he was coming - fun surprise!

We didn't hunt last night due to basketball practice, and I didn't intend to hunt this morning. But, force of habit put me in the tree for a few hours. I should have stayed in bed. I didn't even see any squirrels till close to 9, saw just one deer and it was the 8 point that Mason passed last week.

Below are pictures of the late "short G-4". He will be missed.

Attachments

• IMG-20141103-01774.jpg
    IMG-20141103-01774.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 127

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You guys are on it Brock! Not sure how anybody passes a 150 ten though! Good restraint on Mason's part, but I would have been scratching an itchy trigger finger on that bad boy!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well it's taking it's toll... all this deer-passing and thinking about these big boys we'd like to get a crack at. Add to that my neighbor told me today that a mutual acquaintance showed him a picture of "Mason's buck" the other day. I figured others knew about him, just wish it wasn't this guy... I just don't care for the dude, with good reason.

I asked Mason today if he wanted to go to another property where I felt we could shoot a doe. This whole big buck hunting thing sucks the fun out of it for me, and apparently it is starting to wear on Mason as well. Too much worrying about what other hunters are doing, where these deer are...you all know what I'm talking about. Anyway, Mason said he wanted to shoot a deer. After a little thought on the matter, I told him we would just go to the property where we've been hunting. After all, if we went over to Ross Co. there would be NO chance that our boys would come by, but they may if we stayed the course.

We climbed our stand, settled in and hadn't seen a heck of a lot. I told Mason not to be moving as our stand may be more skylined from one side than I had previously thought. I've noticed deer looking up at me more than they should from that side, more than I ever imagined they would. They still come by usually, but were nervous. I no sooner said that than Mason scratched his face and a deer snorted. We were both aggravated, badly. After the deer left, I told Mason "Let's go. I'm jerking this stand tomorrow". I started gathering our gear while listening to Mason grumble about a deer snorting (He isn't used to hearing that). Suddenly, Mason said, "Deer". I looked to the north and sure enough here came two does. He asked if he could shoot one, he's already passed 11 chip shots this season and I was in a mood. I sat down, put an arrow on his Excalibur and told him to kill whatever he wanted when he got a shot.

Eventually, a big doe was standing at 25 yards or so, pretty much broadside. He asked for the yardage, I told him and he made his usual sniper-like shot. She ran about 150 yards or so and croaked. She ran passed the only camera I have out, and it is on vid-mode. I didn't check it, but we may have a blood-blowing deer on there. We tracked her down, got the truck, loaded her and got the heck out of there. Didn't even gut her on the property... this is the kind of stupid thing you do when you're worried about completely blowing a big one off a farm, and sensibly, I know it makes no difference.

Anyway, Mason finally got to turn loose a little tension, and did a good job of it. We'll eat good. Inside loins for dinner tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG-20141105-01779.jpg
    IMG-20141105-01779.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 129

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks Phil. We have a lot of fun together. As we were loading her on the hitch hauler he said, "I feel good. I put meat on the table". He'll always be able to do that, I think.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Nice job Brock! Glad you guys are enjoying the good lords critters. My mood is changing also and I'm heading out later this morning and I may jus put venison on the ground and enjoy the encounter

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Good stuff brock, sometimes you just have to stop being serious for a moment, and just have fun . Congratulations to mason.