Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Adventures

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Fan-frickin-tastic Team Buckmaster!!! :smiley_clap: What an absolutely great weekend at camp. Nicely done & a big congrats to Brendan.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The primal instinct has been lit as Brendan and I discussed what a Predator versus Prey was.

He's learning that in a Shark book he recently purchased from a school book fair.

He got to experience the Circle of Life Chain in real life conditions this past weekend.

His Deer Camp spark has also been lit. It's now up to me to gently fan the flame for someday Deer Camp will be his....and I will be the Guest.

This is friggin awesome Ben! Simply awesome!

Congrats to you both, looks like he made one heck of a shot TOO!

Buckmaster

Portage
I was messaged from my Camp last night. Ron showed up a day early and took this buck last night.
I'll get to see it this evening when I arrive. Ron is after his second Ohio doe today then he will be checked out of Ohio for the 2013 season.
He has a Colorado elk hunt beginning on Tuesday. He may consider purchasing an additional freezer if he keeps this up.

Attachments

• Ron Buck.jpg
    Ron Buck.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 157

Buckmaster

Portage
I just returned from Jefferson Co after a 5 day hunt.

Ron's buck ended up being a 9 pointer. He left without taking his second doe for the season so deer #7 has been checked at Deer Camp. Ron's focus now is on his Colorado elk hunt as he departed yesterday.
It's a private land guided hunt so he should once again have success elk hunting.

Here's a recap of what's trending:
Does are in the lull staying well hidden. It's because of warm weather, clear skies at night, leaf drop, and their fear that little buck will bother them.
Small bucks are abundant and on their feet during daylight hours.
Scrap lines are active and lively.
Mature bucks are still in beds and are nocturnal.
Most of the deer movement occurs after dark.

By Nov 6th with the first cold snap; all this will change.

On Monday and Tuesday we had a water well drilled at camp at 140 feet. Now we have a good water source over taking our own each trip. So that is a blessing.

Attachments

• Well.jpg
    Well.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 152

Buckmaster

Portage
Here is an updated photo of our Tower Plot. This is where Ron's 9 point spent the last 20 minutes of its life eating turnips.

Attachments

• Tower Plot.jpg
    Tower Plot.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 155

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's a photo of one of the other stand sites over looking another turnip & clover patch. This one we call the blonde stand.
I had a smart buck sneak in behind me Sunday night just before dark. He was smart, had whit, and tried to circle me, but I never got to see him. He just thrashed the brush 25 yards behind me along with creating a scrape. I could not see him because I was in a pine grove. He did smell the smoke but not me.

Attachments

• Blonde Stand.jpg
    Blonde Stand.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 162

Buckmaster

Portage
On Monday following my morning hunt I found this Assassin Beetle. It was in the same tree as I saw it the previous Saturday.
This time it was guarding it's nest (gold eggs to the left).

I poked it with a stick and it emitted a foul order.

Attachments

• Assassin Bug.jpg
    Assassin Bug.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 155

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's my sunrise view from my stand on Tuesday.

I'll call this "Twisted Heart".

Attachments

• Twisted Heart.jpg
    Twisted Heart.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 154