Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2012-2013 Bowhunting Log

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Greg. No deer action yet but squirrels out the whazoo. At least 6 of them and heard a flock of Turks feeding along the creek bed below me. Plenty of nuts falling though. It's nice to finally have some peace and quiet unlike the last two evening hunts. Plan on staying put till 10 or 11 based on the deer activity. Got things to do before work this evening.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great! One of the does is bedded down not 30 yards away facing me! Wind has been alittle inconsistent blowing into my back some but so far so good. Hope she gathers herself up and leaves soon. Lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lol I've got to do sumpton to pass the time!

She left and went away from me with no problems. I'll stick it out till 11 in case a good buck comes thru after bedding most the morning. Lots of acorns on the ground.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WTH! She came back and plopped her butt down 5 yards further than see did earlier! I may never be able to slip out!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
TOO much brush between us. She's the smaller one of the 2. After glassing her she looks like a youngun. Prolly dropped early this spring. Hope she just moves on shortly. Yeeeeah....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Finally said Fugg it and lowered my bow and began my descent at 12:00. Slowly at a sloths pace I made my way down while keeping my eyes fixated on her. Almost pulled it off but she boogered as I touched the ground. Oh well, I'll be giving that stand a long break as we seldom have many N winds.
Went and pulled a card and it has 28 videos. Getting ready to check it now. If anything worth posting is on it you'll see it.

Only one video had horns. Fugg! Had two nice up and comers together in daylight at 7:00pm. The rest were mostly does and fawns. Had a big black dog running deer. Damn

Hours hunted: 9
Does seen: 5
Bucks seen: 0
fawns or yearlings: 2
Yotes seen: 0
Shots taken: 0
Idiots seen: 3

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here is the creek access to this particular N wind stand. I've already walked this creek over 140 yards and the place I make my way up to my stand is where you can see a small log hanging out to the left in the picture. This hillside is very steep and thick. I pruned a access trail to my stand which is out further but over looking this creek. It's approximately 60-70 yards to my tree from this log. The beanfield and oak flat you see in the "view from my stand" pics are on top of this hill to the north so when I hunt this set anything to the north has no idea i am there. Even though I'm only 15-16 feet up this tree I am actually sitting 50 feet above this creek bottom. This is the very creek those 3 teens were talking loudly and making so much noise on Sunday evening. I see as many as 50+ mallard ducks flying into these nice pools during the fall sits from this stand.

This is one of two small up and coming bucks I got out of 28 videos. Still thought I'd share with you. I hope he gets by a couple more years.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a really nice looking creek, and buck! I think I'm getting to where I just pick stands based on the scenery ... as long as deer like it too!:)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks James! I've been set up now for 20 minutes. Slipped in along a wet creek drainage and never heard a thing. Got to my tree and realized I forgot to put a bow rope in the fuggar! Dang it! Instead of slipping out the 150 yards to my truck I just inched up the tree putting my bow quietly on each step as I went up. I don't recommend this but if done it a few times and I'm burning daylight. Took some view pics and shot some yardages before posting. Longest shot is 28 yards and the average is 20. The SSW wind is perfect as I'm sitting at the base of a finger splitting a standing cornfield with all my shooting lanes on the upwind or crosswind sides of me. Nuts are falling and prime time is upon me. Gotta go. Goodluck to everyone this evening. Be safe!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had 3 does come thru at 20 yards at 6:30. I was nocked and loaded with my release snapped on but elected to pass hoping a shooter buck might be in the area. The lead doe was huge and the other 2 were nice size as well. Afterwards I've got to admit a little voice said I should have shot the biggest one. She'll prolly bust me in the future and snort her ass off. Lol

Might climb back in that stand in the morning but bring along a bow rope next time. Rotflmao

Hours hunted: 11
Does seen: 8
Bucks seen: 0
fawns or yearlings: 2
Yotes seen: 0
Shots taken: 0
Idiots seen: 3
Shot ops 3

Last edited: