Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks hunting log

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All settled in. I will be in th same stand as this morning until it is TOO dark to hunt. Warmer gear on and it is all smoked up. Saw some big tracks and fresh tracks along the path on my way in. I drug some Tinks all the way in on a Stink Stick wick which was soaked in estrous doe pee. Shot some arrows before heading out and I am feeling pretty good about it. This is it. I am in the fourth quarter here at Camp Xbow. I cannot say enough about how gracious and hospitable and generous Rick and Diane are. I am blessed to have an extended family in TOO!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just turned over the big can call a few times and let out half dozen short grunts as if a horny buck was chasing a doe. Sure enough, here comes my little button buck buddy. At least I know I was heard. It also gives me a live deer decoy in front of me to watch. Now I need his hot Momma to walk by stinking of estrous.

uploadfromtaptalk1352062623654.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was hoping for some wild afternoon rut action. Haven't seen it. Still far better than working.

Roughly 1.5hrs til dark. According to the Time2Hunt app that time frame is supposed to be the best times today. To top it off, here comes Diane's ditch tiger. Im out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guess I am behind on updates. Killed large marge and this is first hunt since. Long shot tonight. Wind is good for stand. Stand is not so good for evenings. Great observation stand though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ended up seeing 4 does but they were 200yds away. It was a long shot stand I hunted. More of a morning stand or gun stand but great for observations. Windy and chilly but I was dressed for it. Had a 25 degree temperature drop from yesterday.

Hunt: 2.75hrs
Deer seen: 4

Season total hours: 48.5
Deer Seen: 53
Shots taken: 3 (and one prayer at a coyote)
Total number of sits: 15
All day sits: zero
Deer tagged: 3 does

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tomorrow morning will be a fun day. My foreman and I are hunting together. I road scouted tonight. Oh my goodness the deer were moving like crazy at last light! I had my son, Garrett, with me and he witnessed things most 8yr olds have no clue about. We glassed and filmed a doe with a buck in the middle of a field. There were two other deer skirting the edge of the woods but I could not tell if they were bucks or does. If bucks, they were not big ones. It was exiting just to drive.

My foreman is hunting on the ground. He wants to kill one with his compound, but the crossbow is dialed in and ready for him if he wants to take it. It is his to use. I will be in a stand. I plan to film as I anticipate deer to come to him rather than to me. I would put him in a stand, but he is. . . .rather robust. He isn't real comfortable climbing into my hang on stands in place. I don't know if we will see any action, but if we do I would anticipate the action to be stupendous!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I appreciate it Eric and Ric! Hoping he can lay the smack down. Seems like he has been on a bit of a dry spell. I always try to tag a deer to give him and his family but to watch him take one for himself would be quite rewarding. He spent the last week in October hunting public land in southern Ohio with no luck. Sure would be cool to help him connect.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Deer #14? Damn..

Yep. Had 3 within 30 yd with no shot. 14 just bedded at 40. Looks to be a lost yearling. Makes my stomach growl just thinking about it. If not a button buck I think I will take a shot. Pisses off the thing bedded. Might launch a meat missile tipped with a Slick Trick.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stand off is over. Gave doe bleat 2x and all she did was position so she could see me. Got up twice to move, stretch, and bed. Inched closer. Finally got up and in a shooting lane at 40. Drew with her broadside. All the time in the world. Just ranged like target practice. Released arrow. She startled and went 20 yds. Clean miss. Arrow rest was still up. Unsure what happened. Now she is still hanging out, I still have to pee. Still hungry. AND, now I am missing an arrow.

Not a cool chain of events. Glad for clean miss though. Going over what happened in my head. String did hit my jacket is all I am coming up with. Need to remedy that.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Jacket is an easy fix. I keep my Buck roar on my arm to help, my buddy wears a arm guard. The rest being up is super suspicious. What rest are you shooting? Something clearly went wrong there... I would guess fletchings made contact and sent that arrow god knows which way...