Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jakes 2014\15 trapping and fur journal

yotehunter

spencerville oh
IMG_20141230_133008.jpg I pulled another rat out of the ice today. He was in a 110 blind set I had set for mink. I'm thinking my coyote numbers are down a little in my area. I think we hurt them pretty hard last year with the hounds. I'm not seeing much sign latelyin my trapping sections like I usually do this time of year.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Defiantly a dry slump happing for me. Nothing the last three days. Gonna pull almost everything tomorrow. I gained some more coon trapping ground and planning on setting that tomorrow. I'm not messing with them in this pouring rain. Its a muddy mess around here.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well its been real slow for me lately but I had a big surprise today checking traps. Another nice fox.IMG_20150105_125514.jpgIMG_20150105_125456.jpg It was caught in a trench set on a 1.75 four coil Bridger that I redyed and waxed a couple weeks ago. I was having trouble with diggers so I started over and it seems to have paid off. The four coil was just about to much for a fox it was a high catch which I like to see but I'm not a fan of the broken leg. Either way I guess I shouldn't be bitchin lol.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm in the same boat.......

Seems like if you have high coyote numbers the less fox you have. I also have been setting a lot closer to den sights then I have ever before and it seems to be helping. Both fox I've caught have been with in 100 yards of their hole. They don't travel all night like they use too. They stay close to a hole. The coyotes have educated them too IMO.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
This year final numbers are
coon 47
rats 17
fox 2
possum 4
cats 4
coyotes had three pull out early in the year one took trap and all at the swivel where he pulled it apart. So a big goose on the coyotes.
I wish I had more time at the end of season for more coon but all and all a pretty good year.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I couldn't help myself. I've had a bait pile going since gun season at my parents. I have had one chew out and neck tied one. In the last three weeks or so the coyotes have hit it every other day if not every. So I couldn't take it no more and set two more snares in my truck tracks in the corn stalks and 2 more flat sets with some turkey feathers for a visual and call lure. So we will wait and see. I'm worried about the traps being bedded good enough. I bedded them with nine penny nails too stabilize them and peat moss.