Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in a killer spot. Using my climber. Generally horrible cover in a climber but this tree has clusters of young maples around it holding leaves. Yet, I have shooting Lanes. Had to stop on walk in. Looked like an old 6pt working the edge of a thicket not 100yds from me. I killed my 2010 and 2018 bucks coming out of that thicket. Last night this field had piles of does in it from combines pushing them out of corn to south and west. Around 10 or so. Most deer I've seen road scouting this woods this year is 3-4. Hopefully they are still around tonight. Looking for a big body buck. Antlers don't matter. That 6pt would do. Beautiful afternoon and views if nothing else.View attachment 139813View attachment 139814
Hunting amongst the maples gives you some beauty to admire if things ain’t happening that’s for sure.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
GREAT NEWS: Rons buck Babe is alive and well! We knew it in the back of our minds after all the boot leather we both wore down and area we covered. Hoping now he gets a shot at redemption in the future but we’re both just super happy he’s just fine. You can see his entry hole pretty clear but with such a steep angle and him quartering towards him some he wishes he just waited a little longer for a better shot angle and position.
This pic was taken from our buddy Tim’s camera where he was photographed right after the shot the next morning.
6E7CF7A6-FFA3-4296-8D39-3E635829FA28.jpeg

Cogz

Cogz
TX
GREAT NEWS: Rons buck Babe is alive and well! We knew it in the back of our minds after all the boot leather we both wore down and area we covered. Hoping now he gets a shot at redemption in the future but we’re both just super happy he’s just fine. You can see his entry hole pretty clear but with such a steep angle and him quartering towards him some he wishes he just waited a little longer for a better shot angle and position.
This pic was taken from our buddy Tim’s camera where he was photographed right after the shot the next morning.
View attachment 139827
Did it pass thru?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes, but the steep shot angle quartering towards him didn’t help. Ron says you can see his exit hole down low at 8 o’clock hence the white hair he had on his opened up rage 3 blade.
0FF85013-AB11-4051-AB4B-46D910260116.jpeg
Babe was basically standing in between Ron and Tim in this picture walking up a slight grade towards the big tree on the left in the background (11oclock).
There was a small buck stand behind Ron at the time of the shot which prolly caused him to walk towards the direction he did instead of staying on the natural trail he was on making the turn to the left offering a more broadside or slightly quartering away position that is more desirable.
0FF85013-AB11-4051-AB4B-46D910260116.jpeg

Ron said what happened was as Babe was about to cross this ravine he had his head behind some trash so he drew back his bow. What he didn’t anticipate was Babe taking his good ole sweet time afterwards THEN instead of making the turn he veered off the trail walking up towards his position but slightly to the left to confront the small buck possibly. He thought he could hold tight to the left shoulder but at such a steep angle he didn’t enter high enough but bottom line he knows he should have just waited a tad longer. He admits he should have waited but glad that Babe is okay and hopes he gets redemption or our buddy Tim can get a crack at him.

Ohio
Thankful to all the Veterans that have sacrificed in any way to allow me to live my life the way I choose.
Hoping for some good action this morning. With the weather moving in later today I might opt out to get some chores done this afternoon and prepare for an all out assault starting tomorrow.
Same here. Thankful for all who have served. Had pretty good action right before dark last night with several bucks dogging does. Of course the big one was right when I was losing light. Giving the morning a go in the same area because I think there’s a hot doe in here. Doing some chores in the afternoon and setting up a stand. Feels like Friday through Monday could be real good with this weather. Good luck everyone!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211111_070028.jpg

Happy Veteran's Day!

Rain is in the forecast today for later on this afternoon, but the wind remains pretty much the same, which is great!

One young buck underneath me now and an earlier tremendous size owl encounter again right above my head.

20211111_070915.jpg

20211111_064727.jpg

Best of luck to all veterans that are out huntin today!