Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morels

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Meh, I need to mow already. I had dandelions blooming a couple days ago. I have seen reports of blacks in Southern OH already.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just saw two dandelions in bloom. I pointed them out to the boy that was helping me and he said his little brother found a couple little blacks yesterday. I'll wait. They have to be up pretty good before I find em.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Don't forget the expensive crabgrass killer fertilizer! I refuse to use a lawn service company that makes the grass grow fast so they pocket more green stuff.\

Don't forget, Dandelion leaves are better than lettuce in a salad !!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Don't forget the expensive crabgrass killer fertilizer! I refuse to use a lawn service company that makes the grass grow fast so they pocket more green stuff.\

Don't forget, Dandelion leaves are better than lettuce in a salad !!
I refuse to use any lawn service company, my husqvarna tractor does just fine.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
My two d As neighbors with 1/4 acre lawns are paying $50 each mowing. I worked at 36 hole golf course for 5 years while attending college. I know how to mow all kinds of grass and weeds.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
Not hard at all. Made a raised bed out of 2" x 10", added some PH balanced soil, planted seed rows 3 years ago and they've been coming up each Spring. Oh, add straw in the fall for cover. It takes about 3-5 years to establish mature plants.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Yes aparagus will grow from seeds but it takes a minimum of 3 years to get some to edible size. You can also buy "crowns" (roots) that are already 3 or more years old. Its not unusual for asparagus to produce up to 50 years with only minimal care.

The idea is once you find morels growing, look around and see what other plants and trees are doing, like apple trees blooming, skunk cabbage, other mushrooms and fungi. lawn mowing etc.