Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snaring Coyotes

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Not sure how good this is gonna be...But I got 9 snares out today and took some pic's to try and explain this snaring thing. Soon as Diane shrinks the pic's, I will try and explain a little bit of it. There is more on Youtube and Brock says there is more info in the trapping forums. I will say there is a learning curve and you may not do it exactly like I do it ~~ And still get results. Everyone is different and will create their own style to suit their needs... Snaring books are also a good investment for the 7-8 dollars they cost ~~ May even find them on Ebay cheaper.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Snare 4.jpg This is the basic figure 7 that I use to hold a snare over a trail. The stake should be about 16-18" long if it is only to hold the support wire. I drill 2 holes in these stakes for running wire through. I try and wire my snares to a small tree 3" diameter or more. If you are going to tie your snare to the stake, it should be 24-28" or whatever will hold in your soil good. The length of the wire for your 7 will vary a little, but I cut about 30" of #9 wire for mine. If to long you can nip off a little piece to fit your trail. Your wire needs to be twisted real tight on this stake as it will need some backbone to hold the snare as Coyote pulls against it. Snares come with a "wammy" on them which is used to fasten the snare in place. The wammy in this pic is on the end of the #7 figure....these are double aluminum ferrules but some look like springs. Loop should be about 10-12" and about 10" off the ground. ~~ More posts with pic's to come.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Snare 3.jpg This is and end to the extentions I use. I use these to add to the snare's length to reach a log or tree to tie off on. I use the same cable as the snares are. (can be bought by the foot at lowes or home depot) or you can order extra cable with your snares through the Snare Shop.com. I like about 4' and I just feed the cable through a 1/4 - 20 Nut and loop it back through. I then take a hammer and mash the nut on to lock in the loop on each end. You can use double aluminum ferrules, but the nuts are cheaper. Be careful smashing your nuts (No pun intended) They can fly off the cable and bust your beer bottle! Experience right there! More Pic's to come......

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Snare 1.jpg This is how your snare will look on the trail using the figure 7 wire attaching. I took the pics before I added any extra berry vines or golden rod so you could see it a little better. The loop is also a little bigger for viewing. After pic was taken, I made loop 10-12" and 10" off the ground. I then layed a couple berry vines over the loop and used 2 golden rod trunks to help "neck" the trail down so the coyote would go through the opening. Main thing is to try and blend your snares in with the natural grasses ect ect. I will follow a trail a little ways until I find a pinch point with a little cover for the snare. One more pic to follow........

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Snare 2.jpg This is another way to attach snares. I put a branch over the trail about 22" off the ground. The wammy is wired to this branch with regular tie wire. I then "Neck Down" the trail with sticks or vines to help funnel the Coyote into the snare loop. After this pic, I added a few berry vines to help blend it all in. Snares look much brighter than normal because of camera flash. Often, I set them and then have a hard time seeing them from only a few feet away. I boil new snares in a pan of water and add baking soda to dull the shine off of them. Pour baking soda in SLOW as it will foam up quickly. I used a whole small box on 3 dozen snares.
Coyotes are used to running trails and squeezing through tight spots. They usually think the snares are just another vine pulling at them until they realise they are fugged...
To tie my snares, I use the same #9 wire that I use for the snare supports. Tie them good as a mad coyote has a little strength and I hear they can go up to 60# on occasion. The snares are easier than traps as they are less suspicious. I Too buy the best and longest snares I can get. Washer-Loc's work great, but I prefer to use the cam-loc's. The tieing end of my snares have a swivel on them in case the coyote rolls on you. Hope this helps.......Feel free to ask questions and I wish everyone who tries the best of luck. Killing these things is one thing that will help our deer herd!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The ones I just bought were 18.00 a dozen. 6' long, swivels, wammy's, cam-loc's and Ohio deer stops. The difference in the ones you are looking at, are the washer-loc's and length. 6' is best for yotes in my book..... or you will use a lot of wire to reach something. Type in The Snare Shop on your computer...I like them and so does Brock.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Your set ups look very similar to what I have been doing! Thanks for the pics and explanation, I now know I'm on the right track. I will be out checking and setting more tomorrow. My son and I checked and set a few yesterday. We only found one set of yote tracks and he missed two of our snare sets by 20 yds. We'll get him eventually. I have noticed the yotes move into an area and back out over a period of time so I am hoping to have the place pretty well covered should they return in masse again.

The two I got the other day were a male and female. A trapper buddy suggested I gang set some of my set ups as I had that one since they are likely pairing up to breed now. I need to add a few more in hopes of getting two at a time!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome stuff man. Thanks for the info and pics. Helped me out a lot.

What are you guys spending on these snares if you don't mind me asking ?

I found some on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Snare-Shop-Sw...46CO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1329188671&sr=8-9

only $15.50 a dozen

snare shop . com has 101 snares for 13.40/doz if you buy 5 dozen at a time. I did. I have a bunch of extensions I made up as xbow described with nuts and cable. The cable is 14 cents a foot, nuts are almost free. It is much easier to flatten the nuts if you anneal them first. You can do it with a propane torch and a dutch oven really quick. Just throw them in and put the torch in on 'em. When they are red hot, they are much easier to flatten....do not quench them in water! Handle with care.:)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The ones I just bought were 18.00 a dozen. 6' long, swivels, wammy's, cam-loc's and Ohio deer stops. The difference in the ones you are looking at, are the washer-loc's and length. 6' is best for yotes in my book..... or you will use a lot of wire to reach something. Type in The Snare Shop on your computer...I like them and so does Brock.

Will do. Thanks again for the info.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I read the big home range thing too...and I believe it. I saw them on every hunt until mid November last year, then they were gone...along with the deer.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I got one running around that is gonna probably go close to 50# or better. I got a few pics of him somewhere and seen his tracks in the snow tonight at a deer carcass. His tracks are HUGE!......Hopefully I get to show it to you tomorrow........

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
My son has been fooling with some snares around here. He wants to coyote hunt my buddies farm....you guys got me thinking about innstead of that, snaring the place up.

BTW great info guys you have me thinking hard about another hobby.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Randy, turn that boy loose! I swear its a blast. Mason was so burnt out from deer hunting, he was glad when season ended. However, getting out on the four wheeler and running around the farm checking and setting snares is a blast. I wish he was with me the other day when I caught those two. One was dead, one was not. I asked him yesterday if he'd have a problem shooting a tied up yote...he said, "heck, Ill kick it to death if I need to". Ha! He's apparently heard ol Dad cuss about 'em a time or two. I'm telling you, I could see this stuff taking over a lot of my free time!