Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 5 - The Redneck 5

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well woke up and had too scrape the ice off of the windshield and thought too my self this has too be a good morning to be in a deer stand lol.... I guess I was right for once lol...

Made it too the stand around 0630, got set up and waited for daylight, nice cool frosty morning with fog rolling in off of the swamp... Got a text from a fellow TOO brother about putting the hit on a doe and was pumped for him and hoping I'd have some luck as well.... About 35 minutes later I see a fawn walk out that had every spot still on him he was born with.... I was thinking man he was a late drop this spring.... Never remember seeing one with that many spots this late, but he was nervous and kept looking behind him, about 3 minutes later a decent size steps out looks all around as if she was looking for the fawn, but walked away from me and the fawn never offering a shot.... I was hoping this wasn't going too be it for the day and about 10 minutes later another larger doe stepped out of basically the same spot as the other 2 and she was coming at me on an angle that would of put her around 15 yards but she turned and was almost brooad side angled a little towards me and right in the open, she stopped was looking around and I settled the 40 yard pin on her just a little low and pulled the trigger.... I lost the arrow and didn't see it hit her but her reaction said good hit.... Phil said it best in his post she was bulldozing through with her tail at half mast..... I looked at the time 0845 and waited a half hour and got down too not see my arrow where she was hit.... Looked down the path that she took and saw it about 10 feet away.... Walked up and it was covered in blood and there were spots (little) on the ground.... I went a good 50 yards and the blood was minimal but enough too track.... At the 50 yard mark it got much better and as you can see in the picture it was good after about 70 yards but with all the blood I had a bad feeling that she wasn't down yet....

I have a another stand about 150 yards away down a quad path that we made that the deer take and she was heading that way, by the time I got too the stand there was alot of blood not like Phils deer but still a lot and it was easy tracking I made it about 20 yards behind the stand and was just thinking with all this blood she'gotta be close.... I looked up and scanned the area a little and there she was piled up next too a log....

The Thundehead 125's did it again lol..... Nice size hole (again nothing like Phil's) :smiley_clap: But a fairly easy tracking job, and the broadhead is as good as new.... I hit her a little foward than I was aiming for, hit her leg (must of had it back further than I thought) through the side, taking out the botton half of the heart and out behind the opposite shoulder by about 6"...... All in all a great day too be out on stand.....

Attachments

• IMG_20121008_094530.jpg
    IMG_20121008_094530.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20121008_095140.jpg
    IMG_20121008_095140.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20121008_094139.jpg
    IMG_20121008_094139.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks guys.... Dave hope you make it out and drop a good one.... I'll be at work so not scouting or hunting this coming weekend....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hell, I ain't even good for 5 points it seems. Hope to at least get that done this weekend. There is a doe running my neighborhood that I'm confident will go 150+ dressed. Going to try and kill her this weekend! Easily the biggest doe I've ever seen. When I first saw her two weeks ago, I thought she was a big buck!!! You could put a 140" rack on her and it wouldn't be out of place. Lots of good red meat on her!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hell, I ain't even good for 5 points it seems. Hope to at least get that done this weekend. There is a doe running my neighborhood that I'm confident will go 150+ dressed. Going to try and kill her this weekend! Easily the biggest doe I've ever seen. When I first saw her two weeks ago, I thought she was a big buck!!! You could put a 140" rack on her and it wouldn't be out of place. Lots of good red meat on her!!!

Go get her Jesse.... Lots of good meals too come out of that one :smiley_coolpeace:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I thought I did. Patterns have really changed the last couple weeks. Been glassing fields in the evenings and seeing nothing. Gonna try a spot tomorrow I haven't been to for at least three weeks. Can't see the beanfield from the road. There were a couple does last year that were pretty predictable in the early season and the north wind in the AM is perfect. Got a camera out there to check anyway.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well... I kinda fugged up. I knew "about" where I wanted to set up. On a trail that leads into a doe bedding area. Last year, they were pretty consistant about coming from the north along this trail around 9:00 - 9:30. my stand last year was actually to close to the trail and they picked me off coming through and veered off to the west. I figured they would do the same this time and wanted to hunt along that trail only further back from it, and a little more north to where they come from.

I got a little bit of a late start so I was in a bit of a hurry. I have also neglected to go in and pick a tree and mark a trail to it. I got there this morning, walked in to where I thought I wanted to be and got set up. Turns out, I got a little turned around in the dark and ended up about 200 yards from where I wanted.:smiley_blackeye:

I didnt get completely skunked though, an average 8 point came through about 9:00, I say average because I am terrible at scoring or guessing age. if I had to guess, I'd say about 100 inch, 2.5 year old. I would say i let him walk, but that would be a lie. Truth is, if he would have come a little closer, or turned right instead of left, i would have stuck him. Not the biggest buck out there, but having yet to harvest an antlered buck, he would have done just fine.

I also caught movement on the trail I was hoping to be on, like clockwork, around 9:30.:smiley_blackeye::smiley_blackeye:

After I climbed down, I walked back in a ways, picked a tree, and hung some trail markers so I can find it next time I get a north wind in the AM.

Headed back out in a bit for an afternoon sit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well you didn't get skunked Dave!!!!! I'm living thru you guys for the next week.... My next hunt will down @ Strouds lol.... So keep the updates coming.....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I thought I might get a crack at a yote though. just before dark, I heard something off to my right. it was kinda brushy over there so I couldn't see exactly what was going on , but I heard what sounded like a squirrel or maybe a rabbit squeal in alarm, then pain, then silence. a few seconds later there was a scratching sound like something digging in the brush. I thought maybe a yote scored, the prey made it to the brush and the yote was trying to get it out. I waited till I just couldn't see anymore before I climbed down, but never saw what was making the racket.

I also had an interesting encounter back at my truck. There is another fellow that hunts the area who stopped by as I was packing up my gear. We were talking about how some of the landowners in the area have been having problems with people hunting without permission, and are considering not allowing hunting at all anymore. Then the conversation moved to the other end of the spectrum where they give permission to everybody and the woods are so overhunted that its like hunting public. I mentioned I was planning to go to Delaware state park to look around and he asked me if I had ever checked out Kokosing wildlife area. I said I had heard it was pretty good but had never gotten down there. he gave me his number and told me if I ever wanted to check it outIi could call him and he could show me a few spots. Nice guy.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, here I am again. I must be nuts. 64 degrees. Looks like rain comin in. Sitting in a tree.

Decided to get here early today. I'm in the stand I sat last week that I said needed more lanes. I got here around 1:30 to do that and set up a camera. Of course I bumped one 50 yards from my stand at 2:00.

Anyway. Lanes are cut, im inn hope it doesn't rain for a bit.

I know I live in a shitty county for deer numbers, but I'm hoping as much time as I spend in the woods, I should get some sort of a payoff.