Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1 dead, 11 wounded at off campus party.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Police are investigating an early-morning shooting near the Youngstown State University campus that has left one man dead and several others wounded.

Jamail E.Johnson, 25, was killed early Sunday morning at a party at his Indiana Avenue home. According to YSU officials, he was a student at the university.

Another person shot at the same time is listed in critical condition.

Capt. Rod Foley, Youngstown police, said an unknown number of people attended an after hours party at 55 Indiana Ave. that lasted into the early-morning hours Sunday. He said an altercation between those at the party erupted leading to gunfire.

Foley said 12 people were shot during the exchange of gunfire. Ten of those wounded in the shooting are expected to fully recover. According to a campus alert issued this morning, six of the wounded were students and were treated at St. Elizabeth Medical Center.

YSU spokesman Ron Cole said many of the students shot were members of a sanctioned YSU fraternity who lived in a private, off-campus house.

No arrests have been made, but Foley said police are speaking to witnesses and gathering information on what took place at the party before and during the shooting.

According to the university alert, "[YSU] Police Chief John Gocala reports that there is no threat to campus. As a precaution, YSU police has increased its presence on campus."

The statement also said YSU President Cynthia Anderson met at the hospital today with injured students and their families. Counselors and clergy will be made available on campus.

“I want to express my deepest sympathies to the family of the student who died in this tragic act of violence, and to ask everyone to keep him and the other students in their thoughts and prayers,” Anderson said in the alert to the campus community. “It is a sad day for the YSU family.”

In a statement subsequently released by YSU, Mayor Jay Williams said "The Youngstown Police Department is actively pursuing leads in this case. I am fully confident that they will identify, apprehend and bring to justice the individuals who are responsible."

For further updates on this rapidly evolving story, watch Vindy.com and see Monday's Vindicator.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/feb/06/report-12-shot-1-dead-ysu-fraternity/

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One thing jumps out at me... "Foley said 12 people were shot during the exchange of gunfire." Exchange??? Exchange??? How many of these frat party people were packing????

While i was reading more i found this.. ""R.I.P. Jamail "J ROC" Johnson"" Well... I think that might just say it all...

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Holly crap! I graduated from YSU and I lived off campus one block away from the shooting. It was bad back when I went but not that bad!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Grew up in Youngstown work north of it at the airport drive through it daily and never had any issues... most crime is hood on hood but I don't know the whole story on this one.... its being pieced together and I'll hold my opinion till the remainder of the story comes in....

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Grew up in Youngstown work north of it at the airport drive through it daily and never had any issues... most crime is hood on hood but I don't know the whole story on this one.... its being pieced together and I'll hold my opinion till the remainder of the story comes in....

Me too, but I know where my mind is going.................................Whatever happened to fistfights. Pussies carrying guns and getting on the sauce, nothing but trouble going to come from that. Get your ass kicked or kick some ass, everyone walks away.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Me too, but I know where my mind is going.................................Whatever happened to fistfights. Pussies carrying guns and getting on the sauce, nothing but trouble going to come from that. Get your ass kicked or kick some ass, everyone walks away.
Tucky what school you go too and when graduate???? Chaney 78.... attended Chofin trade school also....
I guess the shooters got evicted from the part and came back with the guns for revenge shot through the doorway into the house ... this was a frat party that the thugs had no business being at and were told to leave.... the kid who was killed was the person asking them to leave..... most of the kids shot were.YSU students and it was.a recognized fraternity by the school.... they should of registered the party with the campus and security would of made the rounds...... but that wasn't done.... which I imagine happens all the time.....

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
What a shame, a couple fools with guns destroy the life of someone trying to get an education and changed the lives of a bunch of other kids over what?? They got kicked out of a party??? Kinda makes me shiver a bit because I "worked the door" at tons of parties back in the day. Only time back then I felt the need to pack iron was an out of town job I was on. We were looking at a sweet vette outside the bar at closing time and 4 guys thought we were fugging with it. My buddy and I told them we were just looking at they still got all kinda froggy. It was 2 on 4 but we would not back down until they pulled blades. Made sure things were in our favor from then on out when we went to that bar.

I graduated(barely) Sylvania Southview in '87 and went through the carpenters apprenticeship, finished in 3 instead of 4 years. Great foundation for what I do now.

rrr

I graduated(barely) Sylvania Southview in '87 and went through the carpenters apprenticeship, finished in 3 instead of 4 years. Great foundation for what I do now.

Damn Tucky, that's a rough school! Been up there to watch a high school football game or two

my apologies if this offends anybody , but kids these days are growing up to be pussies , its a pussy way out to have a gun in a fight , when i was in school if some one pulled a blade or threatend with a gun they got theyre ass wooped before the original fight even took place , what the helll is wrong with kids these days, o wait i know , this country is getting weak , we are babying our kids to much , we cany discipline our kids the way we were discaplined , if i lost a fight , i got my ass whooped when i got home ill finish this thaught in another thread

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
We are paying the price of multiple generations of kids raised without a father in the home or other good male role models, raised with out a religious background, with a society that wants to make excuses for their failures, where drugs and other vices are readily available and a culture that doesn't value life.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We are paying the price of multiple generations of kids raised without a father in the home or other good male role models, raised with out a religious background, with a society that wants to make excuses for their failures, where drugs and other vices are readily available and a culture that doesn't value life.

Now Sam.. You know that's not right.. Anytime someone dies from inner city violence the deceased is always "A Bright and promising person" or "The most friendly person" etc etc. Oh wait.. You did say "Make excuses for their failures"

While I feel for these peoples families, and hate to see anyone the victim of a violent crime.. Sometimes we have to realize we are a product of our surroundings and of the friends we keep.. In my late Teens I was involved in a firearm altercation of which i was not the aggressor outside a local jukejoint in Ms. I will be the first to tell you, although i was not the aggressor it was plain and simple a product of the lifestyle i was living, the friends i kept, and personal decisions... I changed my life and a funny thing happened... I don't have anyone "after me", or "enemies" that wish to shoot my ass..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Told ya so....

"[Johnson] was just an excellent, excellent young man, and our loss runs deep," said Christopher Cooper, a legal officer for Omega Psi Phi fraternity. "