Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2018-2019 Hunting Log

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be following to see what unfolds. I had no idea you were moving. I'm way behind the happenings on the site in the past few months.

Need to get my house sold first, but we will be buying my parent's house and 11 acres once we find a buyer. They need to downsize and we need to upsize, so it was great timing for both of us. I've killed a ton of deer back there over the years, as has Tracie, so it'll be nice to have that right outside the back door.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those are sweet memories to make, Jesse. My little girl used to follow me through to woods every time I went. Now she's a junior in college and hardly goes outside. Enjoy every minute, the pass too quickly.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've had the busiest year of my life and it's not getting any better! We have 4 people coming to see our house today, but duty called this morning. It was now or never to knock down the weeds that had overtaken my Corner Pocket food plot. I wanted to at least have clear shooting within range of the stand, but there was still a decent blanket of chicory and clover, so I expect it to come back again. I also wanted to clean out under the white oak that creates this annual scrape, and the crabapple at (11 o'clock) that's under my stand. I mowed some well placed trails to connect my 4 acre sanctuary and the 3 acres of corn (3 to 5 o'clock) that encompasses this plot. Steep drop off behind me prevents deer from getting downwind when hunted on a southerly wind. The food plot/habitat architecture here is nearly perfect this year and the access has always been great. Stoked to sit here opening morning!

IMG_20180923_105505_444.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, my season just took a bit of a turn, but it's for the best. Signed a P&S agreement on our house tonight to close October 26 and hand the keys over on November 10th. If given a chance at one of the 5 basket-racked 8s I have on cam this weekend, I'll be taking him out. If not, my hunting will be extremely limited until the 11th, which has historically been my best day afield, so maybe I can get lucky and kill a cruising slob my first day in the "new" house.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had one of the best opening day hunts of my career this morning. Had a young buck come in at 7:13 this morning after bumping 2 on the way in. Had one of the most intense encounters I've ever had with a deer trying to pick me off later in the morning after a doe caught me putting my coffee away. She spent 20 minutes inspecting me, eventually getting to 13 steps for several minutes. Saw 3 more deer on the way out and my buddy saw 5. Pretty sure we had 9 deer on their feet on the farm at 9AM. That's a great sign for the coming weeks!

IMG_20180929_185923_005.jpg

2018 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 2
Bucks Sightings: 1
Different Bucks: 1
Shooters Seen: 0
Total Sightings: 3

Deer Killed: 0

Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 0
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 0