Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2022 Season Journal

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here we are less than two weeks into the "postseason" and all that means is it's next season already! It's rare I have so many reasons to be excited about the season this early in the year, but this is going to be a rare year. Not only do we have a shed from a target buck in our hands in February for the first time since Captain Jack back in 2013, but Kenna Grace should also be "hunt ready" by fall, and I've got a whole new plan for my habitat management at The Farm w. No Name. As of last week, my dad has parted ways with the farmer who had been farming our place, meaning the Back Field that sits adjacent to the Corner Pocket, is now open for a food plot. I am in the planning stages for a clover/turnip/bean plot circled by switchgrass and can't wait to fly the drone over it this fall!

Lots more to come as things unfold throughout the year!

20220204_124556.jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Here we are less than two weeks into the "postseason" and all that means is it's next season already! It's rare I have so many reasons to be excited about the season this early in the year, but this is going to be a rare year. Not only do we have a shed from a target buck in our hands in February for the first time since Captain Jack back in 2013, but Kenna Grace should also be "hunt ready" by fall, and I've got a whole new plan for my habitat management at The Farm w. No Name. As of last week, my dad has parted ways with the farmer who had been farming our place, meaning the Back Field that sits adjacent to the Corner Pocket, is now open for a food plot. I am in the planning stages for a clover/turnip/bean plot circled by switchgrass and can't wait to fly the drone over it this fall!

Lots more to come as things unfold throughout the year!

View attachment 145909View attachment 145910
TIME TO PLANTTT!!! HELL YESSS!! Cant wait for this!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally had a chance to get both of my mineral sites freshened up this weekend and had a little help in the process!

20220402_143245.jpg
20220403_170141.jpg

I also had a chance to put the new tractor and brush hog to use. I started by carving out the new food plot, which is roughly an acre, by knocking down all the Johnson grass and corn stuble. We're selling the big box tiller to buy one that works on our compact tractors, so now I'm fully independent as a food plotter and can't wait to turn this spot into something special!

20220403_145411.jpg
Screenshot_20220403-171716_onX Hunt.jpg

With a small, nimble tractor, I was able to woller it into a few of the thicker bedding areas to open up some better trails and bedding spots. This spot is nasty thick, so u carved out a trail leading to this nice little flat. This should generate some fresh browse and give them a comfortable spot to chill out and bed up.

20220403_155401.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's time to start ramping things back up and I figured the best way to do that, is to share some videos that show a bit of what I have going on this year. It's hard to express or explain all that's going on via text, so these short videos should convey things pretty well.

The "New" Plot has a bit of everything going on. A couple of corrections, not sure where I got 1.5 acres since it's 1/2 acre. And who hangs a blind? 😂

The Corner Pocket will get a book written about it someday. Hard to create a spot much better than this on our place.

I shared pics in the "What did you do for the deer today?" thread that showed the trail I mowed into the sanctuary, but this gives you a better idea of what it looks like in person. Almost all of these areas used to be cleanly mowed, so the sheer amount of cover and biomass that's come back in the last decade is incredible and it's made a huge difference in the quality of hunting here.

A better look at my bean plot failure and what's it like down in the big creek bottom.

A short look at our invasive problems, combined with a tour of the "upper half" of the farm. As I roll down to the creek bottom, imagine that all being clean hay field. It was like pulling teeth with my dad to let it grow back like this, but what a difference it makes!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have to say that New plot sure looks big, I’d have believed you on the 1.5 acres. They do say everything looks bigger on video though! 🤣
I have room to grow, and may end up plotting the whole field next year. It feels much bigger in person too. I was actually worried about getting deer in range because of it. I'm hoping the security of the inside corner will cause them to hang tight right there. Plus, I know bucks will enter the field on the NE corner and when they do, they'll be in our laps.

Screenshot_20220815-195610_onX Hunt.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had a good week of work and was able to wrap it up at noon. Grabbed some seed and more gly before heading to the farm. Got the Runway Plot planted, then sprayed the Pond Holler Plot and "the 2nd field". I'll let them get good and crispy before mowing and broadcasting the same Deadly Dozen mix from Real World Wildlife Products that I used on the Runway. I have some Harvest Salad and their clover/chicory blend I need to use up. Got rain in the forecast on Sunday and Monday, then a dry stretch, then rain the first of next week if it holds. If that stays consistent, I can get the last 2 plots done, plus the stuff at my house, and then I pray for rain in September!

20220819_155752.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After another 5 hours of brushhog and chainsaw work, all the trail/habitat work is done for the year. Yesterday, I managed to get the tractor down into the Pond Holler for the first time ever and it made a big difference. Especially after all the work we did this winter to open up the canopy and widen the plot. I just finished some additional seeding on 2 other plots and am patiently waiting on the rain to hit Tuesday. I need a good rainy September, which we never get, but it sure would help my struggling plots. Now I need to carve out time to finish my stand prep!

20220827_114502.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Feels odd to be 4 days deep into the season and I haven't been hunting yet. Hell, I still haven't squirrel hunted either!

We did venture out Saturday morning to start fulfilling my commitment to put my friends daughter on her first deer. She bought my "Taste of Ohio" Hunting Experience at our Noon Rotary fundraiserast November. Since I know her so well, and her daughter is the same age as Kaydence, we called an audible and this is now a "Quest for the First Deer" Hunting Experience. It's cool to see things through not one, but two new sets of eyes. It's also cool to have Kaydence as my co-guide for the process. She's bought into helping out and is genuinely comfortable giving up seat time to help Charlie get her first deer. This experience will certainly influence how our season goes!

Screenshot_20220927_093940.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Feels odd to be 4 days deep into the season and I haven't been hunting yet. Hell, I still haven't squirrel hunted either!

We did venture out Saturday morning to start fulfilling my commitment to put my friends daughter on her first deer. She bought my "Taste of Ohio" Hunting Experience at our Noon Rotary fundraiserast November. Since I know her so well, and her daughter is the same age as Kaydence, we called an audible and this is now a "Quest for the First Deer" Hunting Experience. It's cool to see things through not one, but two new sets of eyes. It's also cool to have Kaydence as my co-guide for the process. She's bought into helping out and is genuinely comfortable giving up seat time to help Charlie get her first deer. This experience will certainly influence how our season goes!

View attachment 162417
Great way to recruit new hunters while raising money at the same time for a good cause.👍

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

View attachment 162417
Who's providing the expert instruction?
(Don't ask me about crossbows)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hunt #1 for me on Saturday AM was the dry run I needed to work out the kinks and sort through what things I need to get in order before prime time arrives. I sat in the Pond Holler Stand and was incredibly disappointed by the food plot. I did not cultipack this plot due to how damp/clumpy the soil was when I seeded and was worried it would bury the seed too deep. Thinking back, it probably allowed for the seed to get washed down into the cracks/crevices, which is why it didn't grow. I need to put some effort into tree trimming and soil amending here in the off-season. And from now on, nothing but brassicas down here.

IMG_20221008_080309_247.jpg

Took Kaydence for hunts #1 and #2 last week to no avail. I need to put a deer in front of her soon or she's going to think I'm gar-hole'n her!

20221008_174734.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Rolled out the red carpet for the main access trails this afternoon.

20221010_155636.jpg
20221010_162656.jpg
20221010_162912.jpg

The back field was overtaken by Johnsongrass, cockle burrs, and other weeds, but where I mowed trails, the clover thrived. So even though my food plots are subpar, there's no shortage of food between the clover, acorns, and crabapples.

20221010_170043.jpg

In anticipation of post gun season baiting, I made a kill hole with some main trails leading to it. 20 yard shot from the plot screen where I'll add a blind later.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Don't know if you have rain in the forecast next couple days but you might consider putting 150-200#/acre of cereal rye on that pond holler plot... it'll germinate to 37f, be green in two weeks from germination.

Reactions: bowhunter1023