Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

'17-18 Contest Prize Idear...

Will you throw $ in the hat?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the old way and/or screw you I'm out...

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We've kicked around ideas for a couple years now on how we solve a catch .22 with the contest. We chose not to offer prizes to prevent someone from being a dick and cheating to win a nominal prize. Then guys complain (read: don't participate) because we don't give something away. So, I suggest we meet in the middle and throw $5-10 in the hat much like we did on Sunday's before opening day for biggest buck and first deer. I can purchase Cableas/Amazon/Rural King/Wal-Mart gift cards for each member of the winning team and distribute along with a choice of t-shirt from the store. Money can be mailed to me or sent via PayPal to the site, or to me.

This is not mandatory to be in the contest. It's just a chance to put your money where your mouth is...

If you're in and it appears the majority is good with it, we'll start taking money after teams are drawn.

[video=youtube;HSC9cgvtkRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSC9cgvtkRs[/video]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HAHAHA.

I should clarify I was referring to our deer camp tradition. We'll award this evenly to the winning team which is determined by point total. So you're at least our to an early lead Josh! LOL

It doesn't really matter to me either way. Personally I would prefer to just have a contest without prizes, but I would throw in $5.

Only concern that I would have since this is on the internet is what is the legality of having a contest with people putting in money? I don't want to be stuck in a jail cell with some of the sick bastards on this site. :eek:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It doesn't really matter to me either way. Personally I would prefer to just have a contest without prizes, but I would throw in $5.

Only concern that I would have since this is on the internet is what is the legality of having a contest with people putting in money? I don't want to be stuck in a jail cell with some of the sick bastards on this site. :eek:
Just don't drop the soap and you'll be fine.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

There are three classifications for things such as these, a sweepstakes, a contest, and an illegal Lottery. A member would never be held liable as the full repercussion for crossing the line to a lottery would fall on Jesse and I as the promoters.

With that said, we definitely need to shore this up a little before moving forward.

There are three classifications for things such as these, a sweepstakes, a contest, and an illegal Lottery. A member would never be held liable as the full repercussion for crossing the line to a lottery would fall on Jesse and I as the promoters.

With that said, we definitely need to shore this up a little before moving forward.
. Yeah I wasn't really worried about liability for myself but would hate to see you guys get pinched on something that was just a fun contest.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So if I were to say something like:
If you'd like to donate to the general debauchery of a long standing deer camp gambling tradition, please make donations to my PayPal or mailbox and I'll manage the return donation of "bragging rights" to the team with the most fortuitous team as determined by our completely arbitrary scoring system.
That would be legal right?!? :smiley_chinrub: