Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2009 Buck Euro Mount

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since November of 2009, my buck and his cape were sitting in the deep freezer down at my mom's place... all the while I try to decide whether or not to get a shoulder mount done. So a few weeks ago I determine that 'enough is enough' and I take it home with me to free up some freezer space for mom. With a bunch of other expenses lately, I decided that a shoulder mount wasn't the best idea... and since I've always wanted a Euro mount done, this was going to be the one.

Instead of doing it myself, I wanted to find someone nearby that uses the Dermestid beetles for cleaning skulls. Research online was pretty much useless, so I googled taxidermists near my location. I called up Knight's Taxidermy in Clinton (near Wadsworth) first, and wouldn't you know it, he had the damn beetles. So that night I took it to Brian Knight's place to drop it off. As my luck would have it, I walked into the shop owned by the 2010 State, National (and soon to be World) Champion Whitetail Taxidermist... pretty cool I thought.

Anyhow, I went and picked it up yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Brian charges 85 bucks to clean, degrease, and peroxide the skull. He gave me 25 bucks for the cape so it only cost me $60. Not too shabby in my opinion. What do you guys think?

0929001748.jpg

0929001749.jpg

0929001751.jpg

0929001752.jpg

0929001754.jpg

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks awesome dude. Love that dark chocolate rack. What did that thing score? 135-ish?

I put a tape to him yesterday, actually. I came up with 128 2/8 gross, and 125 4/8 net. When you see the rack in person, and even in pictures, it definitely looks bigger than 125... it's just weird. He looks really close to the 138 8pt on my wall, but the inches just don't add up that high. It really does take a monster 8 pointer to make BBBC books.

Matt

Norton, OH
That's pretty nice looking! Do you by any chance know how much that guy charges for a shoulder mount? He is not far away from me at all.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bet it's his weak right side that kills. That left side has mid-130's potential. Kinda surprised there weren't more deductions. Still a damn fine deer!

It's deceiving, but the beam and tine measurements are all really close. It's the inside spread and circumferences that kill the score. The circs are weird because his beams are heavy around the bases of the tines, but in between they are pretty thin.

That's pretty nice looking! Do you by any chance know how much that guy charges for a shoulder mount? He is not far away from me at all.

He told me his base price for a shoulder mount was $350. That would be your standard upright, left or right turn, ears forward mount. Anything extra, like a sneak or semi-sneak or ears back, etc., would increase price. He said that most guys end up spending about 375 bucks. His commercial mounts really do look top-notch, and his competition mounts are as real as it gets. He also makes custom grunt calls that are pretty cool as well. Overall he just seems like a heck of a nice guy... the excellent taxi work is the icing on the cake. Oh, and if you want to get a turkey mounted, he's your guy. Turkeys are 625 bucks, but they're the best looking turkey mounts I've ever seen.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good looking euro mount! I will cross that bridge (and argument with the Mrs.) when I get another buck. Hope to have the argument this year. Might have to go euro and mount in the shop, or cut the skull and hang above the door to the shop or barn.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I love Eoros. That man did a fine job on yours.

I have done a bunch myself without the beetles, but have been considering buying some. I have a few skulls froze that need taken care of.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is way cool. How long did it take for the beetles to clean the skull?

Well I got it back about two weeks after dropping it off, but I'm not sure how long the beetles took. I've read online that if the colony is strong enough, they can clean a skull in a day or two.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's freakin' sweet Jim! I picked up a business card at the Expo this year from a guy outta Ohio that does this stuff. If my luck ever turns around, I would eventually like to have a Euro mount done of a nice buck. The way things are going though, I may have to settle for a big doe skull...lol...