Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2010 mounts back from taxi

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No e looking showcase Gern..... looks good on that wall....tellyour son for me that that doe looks great..... bucks aren't bad either lol....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
That IN buck is a stud, I LOVE the white throat patch... thats badass! What part of IN did you kill him in? I just picked up ground west of Ft. Wayne last year that has been killer.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Nice buck/mount......How does Indiana compare to Ohio?...Could a fellow like me find some good publicland that can offer 140 Inch plus bucks?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Indiana and are Ohio are pretty similar in deer regulations.....they are 1 buck only. The biggest difference is their gun and muzzleloader seasons are 16 days each. As far as public land goes, the Hoosier National Forest would be my reccomendation. It is very similar to the WNF in Ohio. Indiana produces a good number of trophy bucks every year.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Gern..

Why doesnt Indiana get the recogntion like illinois and Ohio?....I really never hear anything about Indiana..Does it produce bucks like Ohio?

I noticed that the gun season is 2 weeks long and its during the rut..That cant be good for allowing bucks to get older....Seems id be hunting after 2 year olds where as Ohio..Im hunting after 3 and 4 year olds on the publiclands.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Mountaineer,

Indiana produces giant bucks just as Ohio does. Maybe not the sheer numbers of big deer, but plenty of jaw droppers come out of the hoosier state. If you haven't heard much about Indiana, its not surprising, its a sleeper state.

Check out this chart....

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have considered it... I have a good friend that has been going there for 3 years now during the rut and he hunts state ground. He claims to see a lot of good bucks, some p&Y bucks, and a couple of booners each year. There is a lot of public hunting ground up there, so finding a place shouldn't be that hard. He wants me to go along some time, I might try it out in the near future.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Gern..
What about Minnesota?...I do have a connection in Minnesota..I thought about pitchin a tent up in them northern minnesota woods and huntin for a week....what do u think?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It looks like Minnesota produces some huge bucks also.....similar in numbers to Ohio. The bodies on the deer up there are huge from what I hear. If you have a connection, that's half the battle. It looks like you should try it out.