Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2018 Rut Report, County & Conditions

lung buster

hocking county
Drew grunted in 2 small 1.5 yr olds Friday eve. That went at it about 20 yds from us for probably 5 minutes or so. We rattled in another small one sat am. Camera showed a shooter walking by his stand at 850 am Sunday. Of course we slept in after staying up watching the buckeye beating. We are getting there....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Nothing happening around Hancock Co yet that I've seen. Usually by now I already have some hot Does and Bucks fighting over them. As of Sunday, i still had mature bucks out eating in groups with a couple smaller bucks

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Floki

The little bucks, have yet to get stupid. Saw a nice buck on a doe Sunday, story to come.

I would say at this point there are a few early ones in heat. Yet things haven’t started to go crazy,with the small ones. Still tho a great time to be in the woods.

Right now, it’s like a pimple under the skin. It’s growing by the day. When it pops, well I would say November 5 chasing, big boys. Yet like the weatherman, every thing is subject to change.

lung buster

hocking county
Seen this buck chasing a doe behind my work at 0930 this am.
20181024_085509.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
grunted at a good buck last night he never even looked my way. tonight could be good for my brother im having im carry my climber into a spot we have watched 3 good ones work a scrape each night we have hunted it.

Reactions: Mike

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So far, nothing has really changed with regards deer herd behavior around my place this time of year.

All the deer signs are indicating to me that everything is right on schedule.

I found these three different tree rubs this morning just yards apart in a known area where bucks bed during the pre-rut, trying to stay closer to the does in where they feed & bed.

2018-10-28_13.34.27[1].jpg

As usual, I've been seeing more & more bucks just over the past few days during regular daylight hours.

Mainly smaller bucks though.

I expect to see the bigger ones to make their rounds during the legal times somewhere around November 4th right up to the rut, which has been their typical schedule around my place for the past 4 years anyways.

I took a short video the other day (25th) during the last minutes of daylight of one small buck pestering a couple of does that evening.

The camera is attached to my bow, which is something I'm not quite proficient with just yet.

I stopped filming shortly after the buck got right behind me. That's where he pushed the third doe out from her bed. She ended up running directly underneath me just minutes before quitting time

You'll get to hear the buck blow a couple of times when he got directly down wind of me.

You can say that I'm getting super pumped for the next two weeks of hunting.

I wish you guys the best of luck that are still at it!