Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Bowkills

Nw oh
That is simple. I know exactly what my time is worth to me, and that people are willing to pay for my reputation and expertise. I couldn’t care less about what my competition charges. People who would hire me are not the type that want to save $100 on a $5000 dollar painting project. Econ 100 my friend. The law of supply and demand. I’m in short supply and demand is high.
i can't get over it. doctors dentist lawyers surgeons machanics excavators any other profession seems somewhat comparable in prices to one another. Residential construction isn't even close, I don't get it at all. To much demand I guess....

Reactions: Floki

Floki

there isn't anything to sort out, if you asked me. lifting restrictions won't help all of the people with covid derangement syndrome. they will go on living in fear, probably forever. and it won't help all the small business people that lost their businesses because of government overreach while Amazon, Walmart, Target, Lowe's, etc. got to go on making money. this whole thing has been 5% legitimate health concern, 95% hyped up, sensationalized fraud for political gain. a travesty of the highest order.

I had some lunatic woman tell me today when I arrived for our appointment (after it took two weeks to arrange a time to meet with her to provide a FREE quote for her homes EXTERIOR) that she didn't care to do business with me because I wasn't wearing a mask when I got out of my truck and walked toward her front door. I offered to put on a mask to walk around the OUTSIDE of her house (which was in a rural area, not in town) in the RAIN, but that was, apparently, too little, too late. this stupid cunt wasn't even wearing a mask herself! I was laughing when I got in the truck. I'm glad I only wasted an hour of my precious time on that fucking idiot.

The reason I was laughing after our brief meeting was because I told Nancy before I left that this woman was a weirdo and I didn't have high hopes for getting the job. nailed it.

I have given thousands of painting quotes in the last 30 years. I've dealt with every type of idiot you can imagine. some folks that were rude, hard to communicate with, disrespectful, insulting, plain stupid, and on and on, but this is the first and only time anyone has refused to take a bid from me before I even started.

Sounds like she did ya favor!😂😂😝

I toatally agree with your first paragraph as well.

My take you want to stay in the house stay in you want to wear a mask wear one. You want the vaccine get it.

I say hell no to all three. Leave me be I’ll leave you be. Approach me in public to state or share your thoughts on what I should be doing.

Welcome to go fugg yourself real quick.

I could really lay down one hell of a rant not going to tho. I’m sure majority here could.

09C1CADF-196C-4092-BF3B-7F0EA33DBF05.jpeg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
i can't get over it. doctors dentist lawyers surgeons machanics excavators any other profession seems somewhat comparable in prices to one another. Residential construction isn't even close, I don't get it at all. To much demand I guess....
dang, those guys are working cheap. :LOL: I seriously would not get out of bed for $35 per hour today. profit isn't a dirty word. gouging, however, is, and free markets tend to curtail that. I'm sure you realize that running a legitimate business costs money for stuff like insurance, workers comp., advertising, travel, etc. these things have to be figured into the cost of every job, and are part of that hourly charge. beyond that, what are you willing to pay to hire people to work in your house with your wife and children that you trust? what are you willing to pay for reliability, punctuality, experience, craftsmanship? some peoples time is just more valuable than others when it comes to service. there is no more glaring example of "you get what you pay for" than in custom residential repaint work. everybody always disrespecting my trade. it's no wonder we all drink so much. :ROFLMAO:

No disrespect intended bud. Get what you can get if people are willing to pay it. Good on you for positioning yourself to do that.

To me as a consumer it doesn't make economical sense. I can literally hire a shipwright to come run a welder and build me a boat for cheaper per hour than I can hire a guy to operate a paint brush.

I can send an artist a picture of my wife and I and have them paint a beautiful 65x42 oil painting of us for over the fireplace for $650. But I'm supposed to pay $3,500 for a guy to put 5 gallons of the same color paint on a flat wall. Nah.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Floki

Well I was doing a roof one time. Guy was there putting in a window. He was the jack of all trades. We talked for about 20 minutes.

He was booked for the whole year and then some. Before I moved up to the main roof. I had to tell him he had put the window in backwards and upside down.😂😂😝

It’s a rough market but there is a sweet spot.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike and Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Too much demand because everyone has told billy that he should go to college and he deserves a corner office after graduating. It's not easy to find younger people in the trades because they'd rather work at McDonald for life than actually do some labor. Which is funny because McDonald ain't exactly office work. Hence the reason that we have so many illegals. They're just filling the vacuum and I don't really fault them for that. I watched a group of about 8 of them a few weeks back do a complete ripoff and replace of a 3,200 sq foot house with about 9 roof angles, and they did it in less than a day. Talked to my neighbor and those Hispanic people did it for about 15% cheaper than the white guy with meth mouth quoted him.

Jamie

Ohio
No disrespect intended bud. Get what you can get if people are willing to pay it. Good on you for positioning yourself to do that.

To me as a consumer it doesn't make economical sense. I can literally hire a shipwright to come run a welder and build me a boat for cheaper per hour than I can hire a guy to operate a paint brush.

I can send an artist a picture of my wife and I and have them paint a beautiful 65x42 oil painting of us for over the fireplace for $650. But I'm supposed to pay $3,500 for a guy to put 5 gallons of the same color paint on a flat wall. Nah.
therein lies the beauty of free market capitalism. competition for your business is good for you, the consumer. you can hire a $10/hour guy, a $75/hour guy, or something in between to do the same job. choose whatever suits your need, taste, and budget. too often people get caught up in the price alone when they should be seeking the best VALUE for their money, and that is rarely the cheapest price.

One thing is for sure for me, this scamdemic has not hurt my bottom line at all, and has barely affected how I go about my work and business affairs, for that I'm very thankful. lots of other hard working people have not been so fortunate.

Reactions: Mike, "J" and 5Cent

Jamie

Ohio
this is just my opinion, but I think this is largely due to the enormous disparity in talent, work ethic, and legitimacy. I bid against hillbillies with no insurance, no teeth, a 20 year old rusted out truck that barely runs, and who likely do not pay any taxes on their earnings. they will do the work for half of what I'm asking, and people want to know why. I look them right in the eye and explain why they can and will work for peanuts and I won't and don't. working for homeowners is about much more than the actual service you provide. it's about how you provide it.

Too much demand because everyone has told billy that he should go to college and he deserves a corner office after graduating. It's not easy to find younger people in the trades because they'd rather work at McDonald for life than actually do some labor. Which is funny because McDonald ain't exactly office work. Hence the reason that we have so many illegals. They're just filling the vacuum and I don't really fault them for that. I watched a group of about 8 of them a few weeks back do a complete ripoff and replace of a 3,200 sq foot house with about 9 roof angles, and they did it in less than a day. Talked to my neighbor and those Hispanic people did it for about 15% cheaper than the white guy with meth mouth quoted him.
That essentially is what put my father in-law out of business. He was partners with one other guy, both in their late 60's now, and one to two helpers. They had been roofing (some siding and gutters) for well over 30 years and suddenly they just couldn't compete with the crew that would show up with 10 guys and get it all torn off, cleaned up and roofed within one day for a lot less than they would quote. That was the start of him understanding where the Democrat way was killing the every day guy that used to make a decent living. He doesn't vote that way any more simply because of this.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I'm set to have my kitchen remodeled starting sometime this month. I'll have over 30 grand in it. I've had offers to do less than half that would've been done 6 months ago. I turned them all away. The guy I hired is local, along with his crew. They have a great reputation and incentive to keep it
Wow thats more then i paid to have a house built on my lot 46 years ago - well being a local guy you will get a good job

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm set to have my kitchen remodeled starting sometime this month. I'll have over 30 grand in it. I've had offers to do less than half that would've been done 6 months ago. I turned them all away. The guy I hired is local, along with his crew. They have a great reputation and incentive to keep it
Must be all those Bosch appliances you ordered....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
therein lies the beauty of free market capitalism. competition for your business is good for you, the consumer. you can hire a $10/hour guy, a $75/hour guy, or something in between to do the same job. choose whatever suits your need, taste, and budget. too often people get caught up in the price alone when they should be seeking the best VALUE for their money, and that is rarely the cheapest price.

One thing is for sure for me, this scamdemic has not hurt my bottom line at all, and has barely affected how I go about my work and business affairs, for that I'm very thankful. lots of other hard working people have not been so fortunate.

I get what you're saying about value. I'm not looking for a painter to do the front of the house that is a heavy textured stucco and needs to be three colors. Like the columns and window trim white and the other a light light green, then the ceiling a hiant blue. And the sides of the doghouse dormers which will take some time and risky ladder work due to the roof pitch.

20210312_081306.jpg

To do the job right it needs to be sprayed and that's going to take skill, the right equipment, experience, and time. The amount of backer spraying, respray at different angles to avoid spray lines, the edges where two colors will meet etc. To me that is a skilled labor that produces value for which I have no problem paying appropriatly for.

Interior painting is simply painting big flat squares and rectangles. The ability to "cut in" is about the only skill required and let's face it that's not hard we've all done it. The quote didn't include trim, baseboards or crown. Quite simply flat walls. I don't see the value in $35 an hour labor for that project. For the outside it goes beyond labor and into skill, equipment and time which should add cost and will ultimately provide value.

Last edited:
Reactions: finelyshedded

Bowkills

Nw oh
this is just my opinion, but I think this is largely due to the enormous disparity in talent, work ethic, and legitimacy. I bid against hillbillies with no insurance, no teeth, a 20 year old rusted out truck that barely runs, and who likely do not pay any taxes on their earnings. they will do the work for half of what I'm asking, and people want to know why. I look them right in the eye and explain why they can and will work for peanuts and I won't and don't. working for homeowners is about much more than the actual service you provide. it's about how you provide it.
I agree and get what u have said but there are people that would charge your way of thinking to the young family 4000 dollars to do a job , but turn around and charge the dentist 7500 for the exact same job yet somehow maintain an honest reputation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree and get what u have said but there are people that would charge your way of thinking to the young family 4000 dollars to do a job , but turn around and charge the dentist 7500 for the exact same job yet somehow maintain an honest reputation.

Oh I'm sure the house and neighborhood adds some dollars to the cost. The disparity between what we're being quoted vs the people on FB that my wife got references from is about 15-20% imo. I need the number to that hillbilly with no teeth and a rusted-out truck. 😅.

Maybe a better option is to put an ad on FB for a paint laborer. I work from home and can supervise just as well as anyone paying his laborer $17 an hour. Even if he screws it up and it costs me work I could pay him to do it twice for the prices I've been quoted. I'll even let him drink on the job. 😅

Last edited:

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Oh I'm sure the house and neighborhood adds some dollars to the cost. The disparity between what we're being quoted vs the people on FB that my wife got references from is about 15-20% imo. I need the number to that hillbilly with no teeth and a rusted-out truck. 😅.

Maybe a better option is to put an ad on FB for a paint laborer. I work from home and can supervise just as well as anyone paying his laborer $17 an hour. Even if he screws it up and it costs me work I could pay him to do it twice for the prices I've been quoted. I'll even let him drink on the job. 😅
Or let the wifey do it - just flat walls - just say n

• Haha
Reactions: hickslawns

Bowkills

Nw oh

U need to talk to the local shop teacher at the closest high school for a recommendation for a go getter that wants some cash it sounds like. I bailed hay for beer and ten bucks an hr in high school and that I was freaking killing it!