Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 food plots

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Alright guys, I have a topic to discuss. Food plots. Name your county, why you’re planting this year, method of planting and type of crop. I myself will be attempting my first season of planting RR beans and standing corn on a few pieces this year and am just curious to see others plots and ideas so that I can potentially improve mine over time! I have filled and tested soil at both plot sites on both pieces and are right about perfect. A total of 14 acres is what I’ll be planting this year.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I won't add much here as I blow off enough steam and take up bandwidth on the other threads.

My only word of advice is if you are planting corn - corn loves N. Unless you have reason to suspect that the fields were previously loaded with legumes pumping N into the soil, that will now be terminated and make them bio-available to the corn, don't skip on your fertilizer application, specifically UREA. Beans are not too hard to grow and RR beans can make an average guy look like a pro- I've planted them and they even made me look like I knew what the hell I was doing...I didn't haha.

If you are planting 14 acres, I am thinking you might have a drill or row planter? For deer plots, I would not be scared to drill/plant/broadcast right into standing beans come SEPT with a grain/brassica mix. Corn would be more tricky but if you had a way to broadcast into the corn - that would be awesome.

Good luck, and happy planting.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I won't add much here as I blow off enough steam and take up bandwidth on the other threads.

My only word of advice is if you are planting corn - corn loves N. Unless you have reason to suspect that the fields were previously loaded with legumes pumping N into the soil, that will now be terminated and make them bio-available to the corn, don't skip on your fertilizer application, specifically UREA. Beans are not too hard to grow and RR beans can make an average guy look like a pro- I've planted them and they even made me look like I knew what the hell I was doing...I didn't haha.

If you are planting 14 acres, I am thinking you might have a drill or row planter? For deer plots, I would not be scared to drill/plant/broadcast right into standing beans come SEPT with a grain/brassica mix. Corn would be more tricky but if you had a way to broadcast into the corn - that would be awesome.

Good luck, and happy planting.
I do have access to the drill and that’s what I will be using! This year is going to be my experimental year and I plan on just seeing how each piece of ground reacts to what I feed it when it shows me I need it. Will keep posting updates, here.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in SE Ohio and plant food plots as much for the fun of it as I do for the benefit of it. My plots barely matter to our deer given the available ag and browse within our general area. But I love the process and the expense is nominal compared to my other hobbies, so it's well worth the return I get from the whole ordeal. I plant via all methods from frost seeding, to no-till/poor man's style, to walk-behind tiller, to 55hp tractor with 60" box tiller. It just depends on the size and location of the plot.

I frost seeded Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover in late-February on an established clover plot that's near the end of it's life. I'll spray for grasses and broadleaf in the next 2-4 weeks and if it doesn't come around, it'll get tilled under and reestablished in mid-May.

I'll be planting corn in our big creek bottom plot using a walk-behind single row planter. Going for 18 rows, 100 yards long for the first time ever. It's a former turnip, then clover plot, that didn't get mowed last year. I may mow it short and plant corn no-till style and see how it goes. Still undecided in that regard.

I have two more creek bottom plots that get annuals and I use a walk-behind tiller. I planted Frigid Forage Autumn Quick Plot last year with great results, but I may shift to a mix heavier on the cereal grains. I have time to decide, but it'll definitely lean towards the oats/rye end of things than brassica/turnip end of annual mixes.

I have some switchgrass to plant too. Although not a food plot, same process. I'll do that in May.

Reactions: at1010

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I'm in SE Ohio and plant food plots as much for the fun of it as I do for the benefit of it. My plots barely matter to our deer given the available ag and browse within our general area. But I love the process and the expense is nominal compared to my other hobbies, so it's well worth the return I get from the whole ordeal. I plant via all methods from frost seeding, to no-till/poor man's style, to walk-behind tiller, to 55hp tractor with 60" box tiller. It just depends on the size and location of the plot.

I frost seeded Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover in late-February on an established clover plot that's near the end of it's life. I'll spray for grasses and broadleaf in the next 2-4 weeks and if it doesn't come around, it'll get tilled under and reestablished in mid-May.

I'll be planting corn in our big creek bottom plot using a walk-behind single row planter. Going for 18 rows, 100 yards long for the first time ever. It's a former turnip, then clover plot, that didn't get mowed last year. I may mow it short and plant corn no-till style and see how it goes. Still undecided in that regard.

I have two more creek bottom plots that get annuals and I use a walk-behind tiller. I planted Frigid Forage Autumn Quick Plot last year with great results, but I may shift to a mix heavier on the cereal grains. I have time to decide, but it'll definitely lean towards the oats/rye end of things than brassica/turnip end of annual mixes.

I have some switchgrass to plant too. Although not a food plot, same process. I'll do that in May.
Sounds like you have your hands full in the upcoming month or so lol

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'll be organ grinder spreading clover and switch grass in one location and then a few smaller spots in gonna roundup and then do a clover/buckwheat mix. Come August the buckwheat spots will be roundup'd and a brassica mix added.

All merit seed stuff currently, southern Ashland county.