Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2022 Muzzleloader Season

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Had the joy of helping my neighbor drag out a target “cull” of his, on the farm. “Texas heart shot” at 120yards with his ML. Dropped him in his tracks! Had a great evening. Going out with a couple buddies on a drive in the morning

Attachments

• 1A99FD46-6484-4495-9E0E-D93BB3525BDA.jpeg
    1A99FD46-6484-4495-9E0E-D93BB3525BDA.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 84040453-47B5-49BF-8809-D2251FD89137.jpeg
    84040453-47B5-49BF-8809-D2251FD89137.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 69F0EF8F-A54E-4664-A506-4951EF4E3A42.jpeg
    69F0EF8F-A54E-4664-A506-4951EF4E3A42.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 8BBBD237-1D6E-40FB-8C03-BAA67319AFD0.jpeg
    8BBBD237-1D6E-40FB-8C03-BAA67319AFD0.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 131

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
1/9/2022 12:30 p.m. - Back in the blind for the rest of the day!
20220109_122606.jpg

This morning I kicked some ass hand splitting firewood with my 10# maul to prepare for the next cold snap so I don't have too during prime huntin times.
Cutting, splitting & stacking firewood althroughout the winter keeps me in good phyical shape. I used to have a good heavy duty hydralic wood splitter but, I sold it in 2015 along with several other pieces of equipment I had when I owned & operated a lawncare/tree service business.
Now I'm down to about the last largest pieces of firewood to be split that I cut down back in the late summer.
Once I get my muzzy deer harvest out of the way, I'll be cutting up the four large deadfall trees within this ag field I'm currently huntin today, and haul it all back to my home, which will hopefully be enough firewood to get through the rest of the winter.
After that, I intend on doing my fair share of coyote hunting on this property. It's the same property I arrowed my first and largest coyote and there's still plenty more left on this farm.

Anyhow, I'm just thrilled to be in my blind again, and look forward to some peace and tranquility now.

It was raining pretty good when I left the house five after eleven. Now it's down to a drizzle with a 43* temp and a 10mph West wind. Not ideal for this setup but, it is what it is and I'll just have to work with it.

Saw one antlerless deer on the way here in the middle of a picked cornfield at 11:15 a.m. and not one single blaze orange jacket seen during my 60+ mile route passing nothing but farm fields.

Hope a good antlerless shows up this evening straight out in front of me. If it doesn't happen, I'll still enjoy the moments of being out with a rifle next to me.

As I was typing this up, a good doe and little one stepped out into the field SE of me at 1:05 p.m.
I shot at the doe, which she was approximately 125 yards away standing broadside. Quite positive it was a clean miss based on her intial reaction and how she ran off to the South edge of the field, then walked straight into the woods rather normally.
125 yards is the furthest I ever shot this muzzleloader so, not a whole lot of experience at all at that range.

Again, I'm quite certain it was a low and clean miss. She never flinched a bit nor jumped but, I will go check for hair & blood in a little bit to be sure.

Regardless, I believe there stands a pretty good chance for some more to show up this evening. Temps are falling rather quickly and there's plenty of whole corn straight out in front of me, 70 yards away.

Good luck to everyone else that is muzzy huntin this evening!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
1/9/2022 12:30 p.m. - Back in the blind for the rest of the day!
View attachment 143618

This morning I kicked some ass hand splitting fiewood with my 10# maul to prepare for the next cold snap so if I have too during prime huntin times.
Cutting, splitting & stacking firewood althroughout the winter keeps me in good phyical shape. I used to have a good heavy duty hydralic wood splitter but, I sold it in 2015 along with several other pieces of equipment I had when I owned & operated a lawncare/tree service business.
Now I down to about the last largest pieces of firewood to be split that I cut down back in the late summer.
Once I get my muzzy deer harvest out the way, I'll be cutting up the four large deadfall trees within this ag field I'm currently huntin today, and haul it all back to my home, which will hopefully be enough firewood to get through the rest of the winter.
After that, I intend on doing my fair share of coyote hunting on this property. It's the same property I artowed my first and largest coyote and there's still plenty more left on this farm.

Anyhow, I'm just thrilled to be in my blind again, and look forward to some peace and tranquility now.

It was raining pretty good when I left the house five after eleven. Now it's down to a drizzle with a 43* temp and a 10mph West wind. Not ideal for this setup but, it is what is and I'll just have work with it.

Saw one antlerless deer in the middle of a picked cornfield at 11:15 a.m. and not one single blaze orange jacket seen during my 60+ mile route passing nothing but farm fields.

Hope a good antlerless shows up this evening straight out in front of me. If it doesn't happen, I'll still enjoy the moments of being out with a rifle next to me.

As I was typing this up, a good doe and little stepped out into the field SE of me at 1:05 p.m.
I shot at the doe, which she was approximately 125 yards standing broadside. Quite positive it was a clean miss based on her intial reaction and how she ran to South edge of the field, then walked straight into the woods rather normally.
125 yards is the furthest I ever shot this muzzleloader so, not a whole lot of experience at all at that range.

Again, I'm quite certain it was a low and clean miss. She never flinched a bit nor jumped but, I will go check for blood in a little bit to be sure.

Regardless, I believe there stands a pretty good chance for some more to show up this evening. Temps are falling rather quickly and there's plenty of whole corn straight out in front of me, 70 yards away.

Good luck to everyone else that is muzzy huntin the evening!
Yeah, it was a clean miss for sure. Just got back from checking. Found her tracks. No blood found for a good 50 yards while tracing them.

Oh well, loaded up for round two, and the West winds have really picked up too.

I should have the shot taken on my Tactacam camera as well. I'll share it later on when I get home if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: brock ratcliff

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Disappointing 2 days for us. Sat both Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 2 until 6. Had a 10 degree temperature drop tonight. Never saw a single deer in either sit. And sitting over corn. Did manage to get several middle of the night pictures yesterday.

Reactions: Mike

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Disappointing 2 days for us. Sat both Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 2 until 6. Had a 10 degree temperature drop tonight. Never saw a single deer in either sit. And sitting over corn. Did manage to get several middle of the night pictures yesterday.
Dang man! Can you guys get out the next 2 afternoons?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20220109_125838.jpg

Photo capture from Tactacam video that is zoomed in 8x at 12:58 p.m. this afternoon of the deer furthest from me that I totally missed completely.

By the time I left the property this evening at 6:00 p.m., the temperature was 10 degrees cooler than what it was when I started hunting at 12:30 p.m.

I didn't see anymore deer after the two shortly have I got settled in. The winds shifted from the West to coming from the NW with speeds from 15-30 mph and getting stronger by quitting time.

When I packed up and before I left the field, I hiked over to the spot of the deer I shot at to where it went into the woods just to confirm that indeed there was absolutely no blood on the ground anywhere or a deer dead inside the wooded area. I did a 50 yard radius search inside the woods and I did not find any evidence that I hit that deer, which makes me feel much better after putting in a more solid effort to confirm that.

Anyhow, I'll be back at it again tomorrow morning and hunt the entire day if that's what it's going to take. It's supposed to be super chilly out tomorrow , especially when you factor in the wind-chill. Yeah, it's gonna be a cold day so, I'll be bundled up good. The high temp for tomorrow is only going to be 22* with cloudy overcast all day and some brutal West winds.

Pressing forward...

Good night 'TOO'ville!

Last edited: