Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2024 New Jersey Bear Hunt

Fletch

Supporting Member
I stayed in this morning figuring Jon would need help as he's in a spot that has been torn up by the bears... Maybe tonight... Let me tell you Dan is like a kid at Christmas right now cutting his bear up.. I'm so happy to be part of this... Memories in the making... Hell they are already making plans for next year..

Fletch

Supporting Member
Checking cams last night had this guy on film... Not an Ohio buck but respectable for a big woods Jersey buck..

Attachments

• PXL_20241019_125229169.jpg
    PXL_20241019_125229169.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 11

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
@Dannmann801 what do you plan on doing with the fat? I have a lot of fat and leaf lard from the pig we had processed
Both can be rendered into lard. I would keep them separate because leaf lard is more desirable for baking as it's more neutral.

Or keep the back fat for mixing into venison ground or sausage, it's great for that.

Bear fat is similar and supposedly amazing for waterproofing shoes.

Reactions: Clay Showalter

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So the fat is vacuum sealed in 3 bags, as much as I've got so far. I've got the tenderloins and backstraps out and vacuum sealed, ribs done, and a bunch of grind. Basically I've finished stripping the carcass like a herd of Amish, next I gotta do the front and hind quarters. Just had lunch and I'm gonna walk down the street to the Appalachian Trail and take some pictures, then back to cutting
1000002184.jpg