Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2024 shed season

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
IMG_9859.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw this deer with buzzards on it in mid December. It’s on our farm. I didn’t want to walk down the hill to examine it back then as I was still hunting. I thought today would be a good time to see what it was… too late. Appears someone beat me to it. I suspect a neighbor shot the deer and was able to see it from their side of that hill.

I found these on (2/20). Left side had been knawled on by animals. I had company the weekend before so I didn't get out looking as early as I would have liked. If I'd gotten out earlier, I might have found them before the one side got chewed up. Pics don't really do the mass justice. The other one I found on Monday (2/26). I've also found about half a dozen ballons...our property is where party ballons go to die!! I'm going to start a petition to get Happy Birthday ballons outlawed...should make me real popular with the local kids but screw'em Lol!!!
IMG_5178.jpg
IMG_5195.jpg
IMG_5194.jpg
IMG_5189.jpg
IMG_5196.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I found these on (2/20). Left side had been knawled on by animals. I had company the weekend before so I didn't get out looking as early as I would have liked. If I'd gotten out earlier, I might have found them before the one side got chewed up. Pics don't really do the mass justice. The other one I found on Monday (2/26). I've also found about half a dozen ballons...our property is where party ballons go to die!! I'm going to start a petition to get Happy Birthday ballons outlawed...should make me real popular with the local kids but screw'em Lol!!!View attachment 192095View attachment 192096View attachment 192097View attachment 192098View attachment 192099
Welcome to TOO and congratulations on some great finds! Love that mass on that set! Good luck out there…👍🏻

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I walked almost 9k steps on a farm I hadn’t walked yet but there’s others shed hunting on it too with an E bike. Didn’t find anything but jumped a big assed blonde yote out of a finger run near a block of timber. Only had a chance to snap a quick pic as it trotted on other side of tree line.
My, the honeysuckle is already showing some green buds, are you friggin kidding me!🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🙄
Gonna be another lack luster shed tally I’m afraid. Early greenup along with late dropping and low buck numbers aren’t my friends. Lmao

IMG_2704.jpeg

IMG_2702.jpeg

Crappy pic of yote but it’s the light brown blob between the thorny tree and two trees growing together.

I walked almost 9k steps on a farm I hadn’t walked yet but there’s others shed hunting on it too with an E bike. Didn’t find anything but jumped a big assed blonde yote out of a finger run near a block of timber. Only had a chance to snap a quick pic as it trotted on other side of tree line.
My, the honeysuckle is already showing some green buds, are you friggin kidding me!🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🙄
Gonna be another lack luster shed tally I’m afraid. Early greenup along with late dropping and low buck numbers aren’t my friends. Lmao

View attachment 192100
View attachment 192101

Crappy pic of yote but it’s the light brown blob between the thorny tree and two trees growing together.
I noticed the honeysuckle greening up yesterday...also have easter lillies popping up in the yard.

Reactions: finelyshedded
I went out this afternoon and the first thing I thought was "why the hell am I out here...the temp has dropped almost 30 degrees since this morning...the wind is blowing 20 mph with 36 mph gusts...I'm walking in mud!!". Anyway, after about 15-20 minutes of walking I found this one. First thing I thought when I picked it up was "I found this same buck's shed last year"....I took it home and got last year's shed and they are pretty much identical (except this year's is much bigger). So, I got to thinking about whether the bucks are "dropping" late this year or what (I'll admit I'm pretty much confused about when to look etc.) I initially thought that the bad cold spell in January would stress the deer enough that they would shed early. Now today since I found the same deer's shed in back-to-back years, I went through last year's pics and I found the shed on (2/18...last year & this year 2/28...10 days later). I don't know if that helps anyone narrow down when "prime time" is this year. I personally think right now is when people should look in my area...but to make it more confusing when I went to the store this evening, I saw two bucks still holding both sides. Found in a fence row between two corn fields...if it had been 10 feet out in the corn I wouldn't have seen it.
IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5198.jpg

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I'm in SW Ohio as well, and its been pretty consistent for the past 15 years. The second week of March is usually when the antlers start falling heavy. There are always some that drop early, but more bucks then not still have their antlers March 1st, which is super frustrating, as other areas of the state they seem to drop 2-3 weeks earlier. The issue is the past 10 years we have had much warmer winters, so by the time the antlers really start falling, the Honeysuckle and Autumn Olive is already green, which really inhibits success rate, and makes me have to look in some areas before it greens up when in an ideal situation Id rather wait. The best time to go is whenever you can. Congrats on your awesome finds.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in SW Ohio as well, and its been pretty consistent for the past 15 years. The second week of March is usually when the antlers start falling heavy. There are always some that drop early, but more bucks then not still have their antlers March 1st, which is super frustrating, as other areas of the state they seem to drop 2-3 weeks earlier. The issue is the past 10 years we have had much warmer winters, so by the time the antlers really start falling, the Honeysuckle and Autumn Olive is already green, which really inhibits success rate, and makes me have to look in some areas before it greens up when in an ideal situation Id rather wait. The best time to go is whenever you can. Congrats on your awesome finds.
Same here Seth

Thanks for the good information...I'm usually out n about several hours every afternoon/evening so I look but have never really paid too close attention to the dates/weeks I find sheds (if my phone didn't date the pics I wouldn't remember from year to year). When things really green up I guess I've moved on to doing other things and quit looking. I know all about Autumn Olive I've been fighting a losing battle with that crap for years. Based on what you said (and Finelyshedded's agreeing), I'll keep my eyes peeled for a couple more weeks...thanks again.