Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

30% budget cut for the ODNR

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
ODNR takes unnatural hit from Kasich's propsedGRF budget

The Kasich Administration has taken a nuclear bomb rather than a scalpel to the proposed 2012-2013 fiscal General Revenue Fund Operating Budget for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Overall, the department’s General Revenue budget was slashed 30.1 percent from Fiscal 2011 to Fiscal 2012 though the proposal does indicate increased spending by 26.6 percent in Fiscal 2013.

Dollar wise, this means a decrease from $102.1 million actual in Fiscal 2011 to (proposed) $71.4 million in Fiscal 2012 and (proposed) $90.4 million in Fiscal 2013.

As for specifics, The Division of Parks and Recreation will see its General Revenue Fund allocation decline 8-percent to $30.3 million and a virtual total elimination of all funding for Natural Areas and Preserves from $215,000 in actual Fiscal 2011.

State park operations will grow by 1.3 percent in Fiscal 2012, based on the Kasich Administration’s book-keeping.

All Natural Resources publications have been line-itemed out of existence also.

Wildlife, too, takes a hit. Proposed is a 10-percent decline in the General Revenue Fund’s Central Support to the agency, down to $1.8 million and a 100-percent loss of so-called “Department Projects” from $81,311 in actual Fiscal 2011 to nothing proposed in either Fiscal 2012 or Fiscal 2013.

There is likewise an 100-percent shut-off of wildlife habitat funding from $1.42 million to nothing.

The bottom line for Wildlife with all funds is a proposed decline of 13.5 percent for Fiscal 2012 and another 1.6 percent decline in (proposed) Fiscal 2013.

Eliminated as well are Urban Forestry grants within the Forestry Division.
Waterways Safety grants are administered by the Ohio Division of Watercraft. Under Kasich’s proposal these grants would shrink by 13 percent.

Overall, the Watercraft Division’s GRF budget would fall from $21.18 million to $19.26 million in (proposed) Fiscal 2012 and drop again to $18.77 million in (proposed) Fiscal 2013.

Untouched within the Watercraft Division would be the proposed $576,153 in Marine Patrol grants for Fiscal 2012 and also for Fiscal 2013.

“I look forward to working with the governor to protect our sportsmen and our state parks,” said state Sen. Tim Grendell, R-Chester Township. “Taxpayers have invested a lot of dollars in their parks and wildlife areas and we want to ensure that these facilities are there to enjoy.”

This story will be edited and updated as further information becomes available.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com
posted by News-Herald Blogs at 4:44 PM 0 comments

http://outdoorswithfrischkorn.blogspot.com/

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Not enough info to know. I know Strickland cut Division of Wildlife budget, even though the none of the money came from the General Revenue fund. The money DoW didn't spend just went into a savings account. That is according to my WO.

Taft tried to take money from DoW for the General Fund, the legislature didn't let it happen. I hope Kasich doesn't try that.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love left leaning media.... He apparently forgot this part

In a wide-ranging teleconference Wednesday with members of the media, officials with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources presented their case for the proposed 2012 and 2013 state General Revenue Fund operating budgets.

While answers were provided the discussion also left a series of unanswered - and still unanswerable - questions.

Agency officials did say, however, that its budget reflects an opportunity to still provide the needs of the public while fulfilling the Kasich Administration’s stated goal of fiscal responsibility.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
All of a sudden you trust what the ODNR officials say? Remember these are the same guys that think Vinton Co needs a 6 deer limit?

I do have some concerns with the ODNR budget. An example; Soil and Water took a big hit, much development requires a review of storm water drainage plans by S&W before permits are issued. I hope cuts to S&W don't hamstring development.