Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

5 minute safety talk

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Yesterday I was cutting insulation off of some 12-2 with a new blade. Slipped and cut my thumb but good! No cell service, I’m by myself....always have a plan. A good first aid kit is the best I could do but it worked. I carry one on my ATV too.

Attachments

• 0E763AFE-1B34-4651-B0A7-EC5551F596B1.jpeg
    0E763AFE-1B34-4651-B0A7-EC5551F596B1.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Wow
Reactions: Spencie and Ohiosam

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Danger never sleeps. That’s a mantra I always keep in my mind. As soon as you “fall asleep on the job,” that’s when a flukey thing happens and you get hurt, or worse. Easier said than done, I know. Sometimes it’s the mundane tasks that tend to get us. But any time a tree is involved, especially a dead one, that is cause for some SERIOUS pause, hesitation, caution, awareness, whatever you want to call it. Trees will kill you faster than just about anything.

Jamie

Ohio
Well nervous isn't the right word for me - i have a private pilots license and training and awareness is the key - you need confidence doing a cross wind landing - focused is the key as you stated - thats what got me not being focused on the task - shit happens so fast - situational awareness is required
yes, "nervous" is not the best term in the literal sense. slightly uncomfortable, apprehensive, or whatever it takes to raise awareness and focus to the appropriate level for the task at hand. and likewise, confidence is paramount when doing dangerous stuff. just not too much of it. :)

Reactions: Geezer II

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
yes, "nervous" is not the best term in the literal sense. slightly uncomfortable, apprehensive, or whatever it takes to raise awareness and focus to the appropriate level for the task at hand. and likewise, confidence is paramount when doing dangerous stuff. just not too much of it. :)
Yep -

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yesterday I was cutting insulation off of some 12-2 with a new blade. Slipped and cut my thumb but good! No cell service, I’m by myself....always have a plan. A good first aid kit is the best I could do but it worked. I carry one on my ATV too.
Duct tape and TP works well in most cases.... 👍🏼

Reactions: Smawgunner2

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Another one: my dad came out yesterday to split firewood on the log splitter. As I was running the splitter he was grabbing the firewood off of it and throwing it in his trailer. Apparently he had a finger behind the log being split. Smashed the tip bad. Split his finger at the top and the pad between the first and second joint. He has limited feeling in his fingers and didn’t know at first it happened. I would have been in the fetal position talking to anything that would listen. Tough old man! I bandage it up and he finished the job.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Glad everyone is ok, I had a guy I went to church with have a near death experience.

He was using what is the probably the most dangerous 3 point implement there is, an auger. He was standing near it while it was being operated by someone else, which is a no no. Well it was cold outside and he had on a winter coat and it got caught on the bit and before it could be shut off, he was wrapped around it backwards. Broke both shoulders, over half his ribs, his pelvis, and both arms. He died on scene twice was revived and almost is back to normal after about 2 years of rehab. He is very fortunate to be alive.

Geezer II

portage county oh
Glad everyone is ok, I had a guy I went to church with have a near death experience.

He was using what is the probably the most dangerous 3 point implement there is, an auger. He was standing near it while it was being operated by someone else, which is a no no. Well it was cold outside and he had on a winter coat and it got caught on the bit and before it could be shut off, he was wrapped around it backwards. Broke both shoulders, over half his ribs, his pelvis, and both arms. He died on scene twice was revived and almost is back to normal after about 2 years of rehab. He is very fortunate to be alive.
Amazing that he survived

Geezer II

portage county oh
I had a guy running the tractor when baleing hay - i was on the wagon. Well a shear pin broke and the baler, new holand 66, has an exposed fly wheel that was spinning and he jumped off the tractor and put his foot on the flywheel to stop it - scared the shit out of me i just jerked him away - takes a couple minutes for the wheel to spin down when a pin shears - a lot of energy there could have ate him up - dang

• Wow
Reactions: Big_Holla