Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

9mm AR Pistol Build.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've always wanted to take advantage of the "It's not an SBR, it's a pistol" opinion letters by the BATF and build a pistol caliber carbine. I wanted it to take standard Glock mags and decided on 9mm over 45 largely due to mag capacity and accurate rate of fire.

Fox Trot Mike 5 inch barreled upper
Fox Trot Mike stripped FM9 lower
SBA4 Six position pistol brace.
Spikes Tactical 308 Carbine buffer spring
Kaw Valley Precision Stainles Steel Buffer 7.5oz
Anderson lower parts kit. W/Stainless trigger and hammer.
Topped with a Holosun 507V2 2MOA dot and or 32 MOA circle with shake awake and auto light adjust.

So far I have the lower together, the upper will be here Saturday and the optic on Monday.

20200625_212240.jpg

The end product should look about like this.

tmp_1592604047915.png

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What’s the finished cost estimate Joe?

Minus the optic and mags so just the rifle, about $725. You can buy one similar from FM for about $670 but I wanted some upgraded internals to calm it down some on the recoil as well as an upgraded brace. It's a blowback gun and not gas so they tend to be a little snappier. Hence the 308 spring and a heavy buffer weight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome build, buddy. Thank you for sharing this. I've been wanting an AR pistol for quite some time. I just can't decide whether I want it in 9mm or 5.56.

Couple questions...

1)Please tell me you're bringing this to the summer gathering... (I know, not a question. More of a plead)
2)Do you plan on putting a can on the business end of it eventually?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Awesome build, buddy. Thank you for sharing this. I've been wanting an AR pistol for quite some time. I just can't decide whether I want it in 9mm or 5.56.

Couple questions...

1)Please tell me you're bringing this to the summer gathering... (I know, not a question. More of a plead)
2)Do you plan on putting a can on the business end of it eventually?

Thanks. Yes to both. 👍. One of the main reasons I went with a 5 inch upper was to keep it short for the future addition of a can. I thought about 223 and 300bo but I really wanted a CQB PCC. Both of the above are overkill for that and harder to silence. I could have built it on a standard AR15 lower and used a magwell adapter for glock mags but a reliable one will run you $150. Hell the billet Glock magwell 9mm lower was only 159.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks. Yes to both. 👍. One of the main reasons I went with a 5 inch upper was to keep it short for the future addition of a can. I thought about 223 and 300bo but I really wanted a CQB PCC. Both of the above are overkill for that and harder to silence. I could have built it on a standard AR15 lower and used a magwell adapter for glock mags but a reliable one will run you $150. Hell the billet Glock magwell 9mm lower was only 159.
Excellent! I can't wait to fondle it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I really, really like the idea of a shake-awake feature on a red dot. I truthfully had no idea such a thing even existed.

Hilosun has really been trying to revolutionize the red dot game at a very respectable price point. The battery life is 5 years on medium brightness. The shake awake means you can leave it on and as soon as it senses movement it turns back on where you last set it. You can go with the red dot, circle or both. Brightness is manually adjustable or you can set it to auto where it uses a photo cell and auto adjust for indoor, outdoor, cloudy etc. It even has a night vision mode where it doesn't blow out your nods. Price point right at $309. I got a discount through http://bigtexoutdoors.com and paid $280 shipped with $14 expedited shipping. I would highly recommend them. They have a ships same day guarantee, and a TYD guarantee within I believe 6 days or you get a $10 visa card. The vast majority of sites out there have banners saying they're experiencing a 3-7 day delay in processing orders due to covid. Which is BS its due to the volume or orders as the gun market is nuts right now. Not BigTex, i ordered it at 11am est, got a tracking number 5 minutes later, and it was on a truck that day.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I seriously will pay you to build me one of these.

Let me get this last round bolt hold open figured out and I'll shoot you a parts list. It's seriously easy as hell. Easier than adult legos.

On that LRBHO, I may have gone a tad heavy on the buffer trying to soften it up as I don't think it's clearing the catch on the back stroke. Probably why it's so easy to bump fire also. Short reset trigger and a short cycling bolt. The question becomes do I want to "fix" that, or live with no LRBHO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah, I’d say between the extra weight and that spring...you done created a monster😂

Out of a potential 99 problems, surprise bump-fire ain't one. :ROFLMAO: I did test it and hold the trigger back just to make sure I didn't build a gun that came with a 10 year federal pound me in the ass prison sentence. The fact that I posted the video and this thread still exists is proof that it's not. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey Joe, Did you ever finish that pistol build?
Who me? No man. You got the wrong guy, never even heard of one. :unsure: