Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Acorns

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I started to see the red Oak nuts on the ground almost 2 weeks ago at my house.

Dropped a 1/4 peanutbutter an grape jelly sandwich a few years back out of my stand by accident. Had a doe paw it apart and eat it. She looked so funny chewing on the heavy pb side of the sandwich that I kinda laughed an she busted me.

I love bow season :smiley_deer:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Iz skunk season over already :smiley_confused_sch

The skunks dried up alla sudden...I shot one wit da xbow, 2 with the 10/22, and trapped/gassed 2. didn't see any after that. neighbor 4 houses up the street "says" he shot 6 (unconfirmed - :smiley_blablabla: ) and haven't seen/smelled anymore. Kinda wish I could knock a couple more off so's I'd be the undisputed king #1 skunk killer on the block. Guess I'll just have to be content with my coonkillin championship:smiley_asswhip::smiley_asswhip:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Scouted a couple spots last night and the acorns where spotty. Most of the mature white oaks where loaded, but none of the younger ones were. I saw very few red oak acorns, which contrasts my other farm where the red oaks are loaded and dropping like crazy...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
This thread is from 2010 (the first year I hunted Ohio) and I remember the acorn crop well. Fox Lake in Athens county had so many acorns that it was like walking on marbles. Most were the size of a quarter. There were a couple of spots on a slope that you would surf the acorns downhill. Ended up on my ass a couple times. That year was also the best rut I have ever experienced. Bucks were chasing and grunting all day long for the entire week we were there. Three and four bucks chasing one doe. An hour later there would be another chase going by the stand. Walking from one setup to another (we would hunt all day long) with my climber, I had a nice buck come in to my rattling (it was a loose part on the climber, not a set of rattling antlers) and spook, only to come in two more times. I’ve never seen a rut or acorn crop as good as the one in 2010.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Damn...
Memory lane 'n' shit....
I had such a great year in 2010 I made one of them creative memory books
1005212029.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Killed my first archery buck in 2010. It was a good year. I don't recall the acorn crop, but I recall some great memories.

Reactions: 5Cent

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a theory. 2010 was three years in to the DNR's idea to drastically reduce the deer population. It had been three seasons since the start of the $15 antlerless tags and the bonus gun season. While the buck limit remained as 1 buck per season Ohio hunters were mindlessly blasting the shit out of the doe population. The reduction in doe numbers had not yet began to impact the mature buck population through reduced births. So with a relatively stable buck population, coming off record deer population, and a sharp reduction in does, we saw a very active rut.