Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ada Ohio Deer/ Small game Hunting

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Hello,

My name is Drew. I am a freshman at Ohio Northern University planning on studying Civil Engineering. I am somewhat new to the sport of deer hunting. I have been out for two years, both with a relative level of success (I killed a decent doe each year). I was curious if anyone knew of any good state parks or areas near Ada that have decent deer or squirrel hunting, or if there is anyone who knows someone who I could get permission to hunt their land. I would be willing to pay or do some work in exchange for hunting access, and have a buddy or two interested as well. If this isn't the right forum for this, forgive me, I an new to the site. I would just like to start looking before the season starts off.

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Thanks!! Do you have any forum recommendations for where I would be able to find more information on this? I am excited to be a new member on the site.

Reactions: MoonLab
Welcome Drew! I’m just a few min north of you. I’ve been looking for the same kinds of things for the last several years too. So far have been focusing on public land though 1-1.5 hours away in about any direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drewh.02

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
There are some smaller 40 acre tracts of public land north of you that hold deer. Maybe a 10 minute drive from ONU. Take 235 north and hang a right heading eadt on cr 27. Its up on the left a couple miles. Thick as could be. Long a narrow but ag fields around it with a creek in the back. There are some farmers around Ada who will give permission. Just start knocking on some doors. About 35 minutes east of you is Killdeer Plains WA. Absolutely loaded with deer and really good small game populations. Hundreds and hundreds of acres

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Another thing. If you go asking for permission, go alone. Just my experience, but its always easier for one guy to get permission at first. Tell them your a student too. Its a strange time right now, so showing up unannounced might scare older folks. There's a grain elevator in town, Heritage Co-op. Go in there and ask if they could put you in contact with any landowners who allow hunting. Or ask if they"ll let you put a stack of fliers there with your contact info and short BIO on what you wanna hunt and any relevant information

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
There are some smaller 40 acre tracts of public land north of you that hold deer. Maybe a 10 minute drive from ONU. Take 235 north and hang a right heading eadt on cr 27. Its up on the left a couple miles. Thick as could be. Long a narrow but ag fields around it with a creek in the back. There are some farmers around Ada who will give permission. Just start knocking on some doors. About 35 minutes east of you is Killdeer Plains WA. Absolutely loaded with deer and really good small game populations. Hundreds and hundreds of acres
Another thing. If you go asking for permission, go alone. Just my experience, but its always easier for one guy to get permission at first. Tell them your a student too. Its a strange time right now, so showing up unannounced might scare older folks. There's a grain elevator in town, Heritage Co-op. Go in there and ask if they could put you in contact with any landowners who allow hunting. Or ask if they"ll let you put a stack of fliers there with your contact info and short BIO on what you wanna hunt and any relevant information
Some real good info there!👍
Welcome aboard Drew!

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Thanks guys!! I had no idea there were smaller tracts of land like that north of the city. I have a family friend who owns some land but was interested to see what other opportunities there were out there. I might make a run up to the grain silos and put a flier out or something, I need to begin getting access here somewhat soon so I can start scouting.

Thanks guys!! I had no idea there were smaller tracts of land like that north of the city. I have a family friend who owns some land but was interested to see what other opportunities there were out there. I might make a run up to the grain silos and put a flier out or something, I need to begin getting access here somewhat soon so I can start scouting.

If you haven’t already, check out On X and get yourself a membership at least for Ohio. Worth every single penny. It completely reinvented how I hunt. I was amazed how many little pieces of public are around me within 15-30 min drive in some cases.

If you don’t like that one, there’s Basemap and I think another couple out there now that do similar or the same things as On X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: giles

Snyder10

I’m a fellow polar bear. Stick around this forum, be a sponge. Like the other guys said, that On-x app is a game changer and you’ll be surprised the public access you can get. Finding someone to give permission these days is pure luck from my experience

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kildeer is the only place I knew of. Redhunter just handed you a gem. Be safe out there. I'm sure there will be plenty of hunters. Hopefully not though. I'm 25min SW of you. Cridersville area. I have a little piece of ground. 7.6acres. It is already spoken for though. Honestly not very good hunting. I let my foreman hunt it. I'd do a lot better if the neighboring properties had hunters who knew what they were doing. They blow every deer off my little parcel.

Reactions: drewh.02

drewh.02

Ada Ohio
Thanks again for all the help guys. I'm probably going to run up to the heritage Cooperative tomorrow and see about getting my name put down, in addition scouting out some permission. If anyone sees this message and has land nearby, let me know still. I would be happy to work something out!!

Reactions: MoonLab and Blan37