Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advice on new desk top computer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have plenty of computer people here. Someone has to be smarter than me when it comes to shopping for them. I want to be proactive and upgrade my desktop before it poops out. If I had to guess I would say it is 7-10yrs old. Little sluggish at times.

Needs- lots of pics to back up. Business files too. No gaming. No movie watching. Just basic spreadsheet, Microsoft word, and QuickBooks type stuff. Normal TOO, Facebook, craigslist type web surfing. I don't need a monitor or printer. I also need to find someone local to help me transfer everything to the new set up. Unfortunately, my good friend who used to help with these things passed away.

Thoughts on what to look for and where to shop?

I did reach out to a local TOO member and friend as well. He may be able to help get stuff transferred. If not, I suspect he can point me in the right direction locally for that portion.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Jamie

Ohio
My Toshiba Satellite laptop is 12 years old. It was running pretty slow for a long time so, a few months ago I decided to take it to the local computer repair shop to have it cleaned up before giving up on it and buying a new one. The owner told me that these were (are) superb computers and that upgrading the hard, drive would make a huge difference in how it operated today and would extend its life considerably for how I use it. She was right. for $80 dollars I have a like new computer that I already like, know how to use, and I did not have to transfer data or save shit on external drives or anything. I probably do even less stuff on mine that you, but it might be worth considering if you like yours and you are not having any problems with it.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
For what you're doing, a fast SSD will make up for a ton of other shortcomings.

Your original post mentioned a desktop. Are you still wanting a desktop? If so the options are endless.

I've built the last several desktops I've used from scratch. I lean towards gaming machines, but what I would do is go to Micro Center in Columbus and tell them what your needs are and that you want a 1TB or larger NVMe SSD drive with whatever O/S you want it to run. Then ask about options for transferring existing files.

You need to have a conversation with my brother. 💯 He's a web designer, programmer and has built several computers....including the one I'm on now. :cool: He went with me to Micro-Center, in Columbus and we started putting stuff in a cart. If you give him a budget number that he can stay within, he'll help you build whatever you want/need. :)
You have my number, call me and we'll put something together that will fit your needs and budget. :unsure:

P8riot

Carbon, In
I went the external storage route so I could access the files at any time and also keep it in a safe without having it always on a computer (theft or hack). I don't keep anything personal stored on any laptop or computer. The 1TB ones are fairly inexpensive.

I would go with a laptop and use a big screen with a regular mouse and regular keyboard and an external storage device.

Transferring anything to the external drive from your existing set up is as easy as click and drag.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My last computer was a Toshiba Satellite laptop, just like the one Jamie has. It was a great machine and lasted me close to 10 years. I went the expensive route though and did not try to upgrade it, but rather I upgraded to an entirely new machine. I went with a Dell Precision 3650 Tower - Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB DDR4 memory, and 512 GB SSD. I'm also running dual 24" Dell monitors. Phil, I know you said you don't need a monitor... But seriously, operating with 2 monitors is a game changer. I highly recommend it.

I don't do any gaming. Mostly just business-related tasks... MS software, spreadsheets, email, virtual meetings, etc. I do however utilize CAD and GIS software which sometimes put a strong demand on the computer.

I may be in the minority, but for business purposes I really prefer the desktop over a laptop. Even when running a laptop, I prefer to use a docking station and dual monitor setup.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the larger keyboard of a desktop. I like being forced to sit in the office when it is time for paperwork. If I'm in my recliner doing business stuff on a laptop, I'll get distracted, watch TV, etc. Go to the office. Do office stuff. Dual monitors? Phhssh. . . I'll struggle to get the printer and crap working with a new computer. I don't want a second monitor to figure out. I'm adequate in the office. It isn't my strong suit. Need me to dig a hole, plow snow, yank an engine, trim shrubs. . . I'm your guy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You forgot roll a truck in an extraordinary dramatic fashion! 😁
True true. I can also add "give shake down race to a truck that has been rolled." I've done that on my truck. Last race I didn't want to attend. The promoter asked me to shake down one of his trucks that was rolled. This isn't something I wanted to add to my resume. 🏁🤣

P8riot

Carbon, In
True true. I can also add "give shake down race to a truck that has been rolled." I've done that on my truck. Last race I didn't want to attend. The promoter asked me to shake down one of his trucks that was rolled. This isn't something I wanted to add to my resume. 🏁🤣
I'm so very glad we can laugh and joke about it. You better sit down and add up all the lives you used and how many you have left!!

Reactions: hickslawns