Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anchor points

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is a little surprising to hear. I was about 50/50 on the trad vanes vs feathers. I shot both a lot until about 6-8 months ago and I pretty much went to all trad vanes. I didn't have issues (that I could tell) off the shelf. I'm still shooting 3 5", I haven't tried the 4-fletch config that it seems so many people have gone to. My only complaints with them are 1) they suck to fletch up compared to feathers and 2) they tear easily. I use the Gorilla gel on them, and it works, but it's just slow. With feathers and tape you can bang out arrows like crazy.
I heard Snyder say to take a basterd file on the clamp of your fletching jig on both ends to flatten it out so the trad vanes will glue on easier. Says it works for longer feathers also with more helical fletch.
That is with the bitzenberger jig though not sure what you use.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Tis the season for new things. I have been wanting to try an elevated rest, also. Once I got this on and bumped up my thread nocking points, I was able to send some down range.

I've been very impressed. Arrow flight has been great. It seemed to take 5 or 6 groups to get used to it, get comfortable with it. Arrows have been flying really well ever since.

How is that elevated rest working for you so far?

Reactions: Stressless

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like it. Arrows are flying great, I have no complaints. I'm curious to see how long they will last, but they are so cheap and easy to use I'm glad I made the switch.
I have one in my tackle box just never tried it...I did hear Tom Clum and Aron Snyder talk about elevated rests on a few podcasts saying they do help alot if you get a not so perfect release.
Maybe one day I will try it out on one of my recurves.

Creamer

Athens
I got the Stalker out yesterday. Shooting that bow after shooting the Black Hunter longbow for about 2 weeks makes me really question the weight accuracy on the Black Hunter. I think it's actually heavier than 50lbs. The Stalker is 46lbs, the BH supposedly 50lbs. The Stalker feels like considerably less poundage. My father in law has a scale, I'll test it out maybe later this week.

Anywho, my 40 yard shots at the groundhog target have taught me something very important: if I expect to kill one, get closer. More like 20.

Creamer

Athens
the object of archery is to be able to hit your target as often as possible. the object of bow and arrow hunting is getting as close as possible to your target so you can hit your target more often.

Nothing to hide behind in our back yard. I'd like to be able to reach out and touch Mr. Chuck with a pointy object if he's below our shed. :LOL:

Not there yet. Hell, last year I had a golden opportunity and got close, maybe 13-14 yards, and whistled a broadhead right over his back. A few days later, it was a more difficult shot of about 25 yards and I skewered him.