Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Annual Veterans Hunt 2018

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Its that time of year again. In past years i have hunted inside the Tank Plant in Lima. This year they did a random draw. I will be hunting Kendrick Woods Metro Park in Spencerville. I wish I was still in the tank plant, but it will be nice to get into some big woods. I look forward to this event every year. Ill update as this goes along.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beautiful park and woods Dustin. Jake (yotehunter) lives over that way. They use several different areas in the park. Hope you get a good spot. There are some monsters hidden in there.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio

Now Giles, dont be a hater.

Thanks to everyone else who has wished me luck.

The hunt area coordinator sent an email this morning expressing that he is very cautious about scent, and if someone comes in smelling like BO, deodorant, cologne or anything else, they will not be allowed to hunt. Looking forward to hunting his area.

Reactions: giles and Sgt Fury

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I see what you did there. Nov 2nd - 4th. Arrive Friday afternoon, qualify, meet guides, area coordinators. Form a plan of when and where to meet on the 3rd. Hunt the morning of the 3rd, break for lunch, hunt the afternoon. Hunt the morning of the 4th, break for lunch, head home.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hope they are correct on scent control. What I've seen on these hunts has me scratching my head. They leave area undisturbed until a week or two out. Then they go dump corn, set up blinds, and trounce all over.

That said, their intentions are amazing. I think some of the volunteers simply don't know a lot about hunting. They also go out of their way to accommodate every hunter's needs. Some of these guys are wheelchair bound and it IS tough to get them settled in in a stealthy way. I hope they place you in a quiet little nook away from others Dustin.

As a disclaimer, when I have been there it is often with Hank. Hunt is done and there is a gaggle of people walking around looking for a deer. UTVs rolling everywhere. Lots of intrusion attempting to recover. My observation period may not be a good indicator of what is happening.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im going to arrive early on that Friday and have a chat with the area coordinator and see if I can get myself set up in a good spot. 500 acres, and only 10 hunters, so we will see how things pan out.

Yes their intentions are good, above all else this is a meat hunt. Brown its down type of thing.