Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

another tasty score

"J"

Dustin’s FORMER fishing coach
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
Licking Co.
these are the coiled up fronds of Ostrich ferns. they like shady places with adequate water and drainage, but ferns are pretty hearty and will grow most anyplace. not all fern "fiddleheads" are edible, though, so be careful. these are only around for a very short time. cut these when the fronds first start growing, before they uncoil. you want the heads to be wound up tight. you might have them growing in a flower bed at your house. do not eat them raw. blanch and saute'.

can you imagine a bunch of kitchen hack hunter-gatherers with their own cooking show cooking deer, squirrels, ramps and such? what a riot! err,a, disaster, I mean. :eek:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Site Admin
these are the coiled up fronds of Ostrich ferns. they like shady places with adequate water and drainage, but ferns are pretty hearty and will grow most anyplace. not all fern "fiddleheads" are edible, though, so be careful. these are only around for a very short time. cut these when the fronds first start growing, before they uncoil. you want the heads to be wound up tight. you might have them growing in a flower bed at your house. do not eat them raw. blanch and saute'.

can you imagine a bunch of kitchen hack hunter-gatherers with their own cooking show cooking deer, squirrels, ramps and such? what a riot! err,a, disaster, I mean. :eek:
Youtube. I bet it's worth a couple hundred thousand subscribers anyway.

Licking Co.
I was a little late on these last year, but the Ostrich ferns in our flower beds are up. I have two or three dozen of these and they are very happy. they were here when we got here 19 years ago and I wanted to get rid of them as they were growing up through the middle of the deck. Nancy wouldn't hear of it. she moved several of the crowns and they have propagated themselves for the most part. I cut enough for us to eat tonight. in a few days I'll be able cut this many more. they started so fast that many of the fronds are already opened up too much to eat. they need to be coiled up tight to be at their best. this is what they look like when they are just getting started growing. I cut the three tall ones after taking the picture. the back of my house is two feet from this fern. these aren't exactly "wild" edibles, but not the kind of thing you grow in a vegetable garden, either.

IMG_2176.jpg

here are some that have opened up a bit too much to eat. to the left and at the top of the frame are Ramps that I transplanted a year ago. they went to seed and came back up. in a few years, hopefully, they will have spread themselves out enough that we can dig some. I transplanted about 30 clumps like these to our property two weeks ago. I'll be quite happy if they grow and spread in the woods there.

IMG_2177.jpg

some are bigger than a quarter, some smaller than a dime. just need to be tightly coiled.

IMG_2179.jpg

Last edited: