Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Antiques - Who collects and what?

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Anyone collect antiques? If so, what do you collect?

I currently have several pieces of antique furniture, but the only thing I really collect are Deeds Bros. Dairy items. Anything that says Deeds Bros. Dairy has my attention. I've got a small collection of milk bottles and one carton, and last weekend I picked up two styles of ash trays used by the company for marketing. To me all antiques are really cool and whenever I see one, especially when they are mechanical, I begin to drool a little. I find wonderment in what this country used to produce. So, if you collect antiques let's hear about it and see what interests you.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have this old oriental hand carved dragon table that my mom gave me. Its pretty sweet. It has dragons for legs and there is the dragon faces and scales on the sides. I dont know what its worth but for it to be hand carved like that out of some type of red wood is pretty sweet.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Anyone collect Coca-Cola memorabillia? I have a tray from the 1950s and a thermometer from 1981 I need to sell.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Come to think of it i don't have any collections... I do have an entire binder of Tops cards for every MLB player in 1989.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I don't have anything antique as far as collection, but I do collect shot glasses and logo golf balls. Figured it would be cool to pass the collection down to my kids so they can look at all the places I've visited and golf courses I've played.

Buckmaster

Portage
I used to collect antique lighting products and lanterns. I've also resurrected many pieces of antique furniture over the years. I was pretty heavy into "picking" 20 years ago. I'm not so much into it any more and have sold off most of my goods.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have all my sports cards from my childhood that I'll pass on to my son. I have a plethora of Hall of Famers rookie cards from damn near every sport. I have some old posters from 1931 advertising a baseball all star game between Negro League all stars against the best white players from NW Ohio. I have a ton of old Unopened wheaties boxes. I have an old pepsi bottle machine from the 50's that works great for about 30 bottles of beer.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I have all my sports cards from my childhood that I'll pass on to my son. I have a plethora of Hall of Famers rookie cards from damn near every sport. I have some old posters from 1931 advertising a baseball all star game between Negro League all stars against the best white players from NW Ohio. I have a ton of old Unopened wheaties boxes. I have an old pepsi bottle machine from the 50's that works great for about 30 bottles of beer.

1931 was the last year for the Negro National League. I found a poster sold by Christie's in 2000 that went for $1k...same year, different team, however.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Thats interesting JJ. I've done a little searching on them and seen where a few had sold at online auction for 200-350 depending on condition. I have one framed at my house a the other 2 at still at Dad's house. My nephew actually found a stack of them in and old barn at his inlaws. I believe he has a few more TOO. I'd never sell any of my stuff. I won't be able to leave my kid a Million, but maybe in another 30 years that stuff will be worth more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't really collect antiques, but I have a few antique duck decoys that my dad passed on to me. He's got a pretty big collection of them himself... Mostly Masons, Pratts, and One-armed Kellys... I think they're pretty cool so I hope I can get a few more from him some day.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I collect antique lures and brass spring scales. I have a few family items including irons, sewing machines, a radio cabinet that used bulbs and a coffee grinder.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Coke stuff, old fishing poles and reels, RCA Victor Nipper dog, complete match books, some lanterns and general old stuff.

I also seem to have the knack of collecting burdens and general family problems. I also have an extensive collection of single socks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I also have an extensive collection of single socks.

With a couple kids, it is very easy for this collection to grow rapidly! lol Good one CJD!

I guess you could say I collect equipment, but not really antiques. Some of our trucks might be considered "antique" by the younger guys, but they still work. I wouldn't say I necessarily "collect" guns, but I generally acquire several more each year somehow. Not sure how that keeps happening?

Buckmaster

Portage
I also have an extensive collection of single socks.

That's a funny one right there. My 3 year old boy collects rocks. He has a new pocket full almost daily. They end up on the kitchen countertop for a while. When he's not looking I quietly deposit them into the neighbor's gravel driveway.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got it too Archer, just wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. I did get a smile on my face when I read it, but didn't want to stir the pot if you were buddies! lol