Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Antler Point Restrictions

Just curious about everyone's thoughts on a statewide antler point restrictions. We have them in PA and I do have mixed feelings about them. We have two different restrictions depending on where you are at. Where I am at the deer must have at least 3 points up (brow tine doesn't count either way) on one antler. Some of the state only has to have 3 points on one side. It does allow several of the 1.5 year old buck live to 2.5. So what is everyone's thoughts if Ohio was to go to something like that. Has there ever been any talk to them going to it?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I personally would like it but on the other hand there are people who get a limited amount of time in the woods and may only see a couple bucks in a season. Also first time hunters and young hunters need to get a few kills under their belt to learn and become a better hunter/huntress. I think in Ohio, the one buck per year is enough of a limitation. I have my own standards that I impose on myself but when I was younger, killing my first buck with a bow (6” spikes) is a fond memory and you’d a thought I killed a Boone and Crockett buck! NJ on the other hand allows you to kill 6 bucks per season and unlimited does in some zones...I would love to see NJ cut the bag limit to one or two bucks per season, allowing the others to get some age.

I personally would like it but on the other hand there are people who get a limited amount of time in the woods and may only see a couple bucks in a season. Also first time hunters and young hunters need to get a few kills under their belt to learn and become a better hunter/huntress. I think in Ohio, the one buck per year is enough of a limitation. I have my own standards that I impose on myself but when I was younger, killing my first buck with a bow (6” spikes) is a fond memory and you’d a thought I killed a Boone and Crockett buck! NJ on the other hand allows you to kill 6 bucks per season and unlimited does in some zones...I would love to see NJ cut the bag limit to one or two bucks per season, allowing the others to get some age.

I forgot to put in my post but in PA Junior hunters do not have to abide by the antler point restrictions. This is actually one of the things I like about it as it gives youth hunters a better chance at a buck as their is a segment of the buck population that is only legal for them.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Regardless of what the science says about antler point restrictions... In Ohio, we don't have a shortage of 130" or larger bucks. I simply don't see a need for antler point restrictions in this state. I don't think there's any reason (currently) to draw a line in the sand as to which bucks should live and which bucks should die. Just my opinion.

I don't think it would benefit anything here. The APR's were instituted due to the incredibly high yearling buck harvest in PA. We're lucky enough not to have that issue in Ohio. The other downside is that you may not be able to shoot a true trophy 6 point in some spots then. At our camp in PA, the wall is littered with spike antlers that years before the restrictions, guys shot. Now fast forward to the last 4-5 years and we've shot some very respectable PA bucks that never would have made it in years past. It made the hunting much better. Especially in public land areas where QDM wasn't even thought of. I think our system isn't broke. No need to fix it.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
It obviously helps that we're a one buck state. Granted, the numbers are not what most want to see them be at, but bucks are here. I don't think we're to the point of needing antler restrictions and I hope we never do. I like knowing hunters of all walks have a choice on what caliber buck they choose to take. Young, old, and hunters like myself who have had a trying season...🤭

Floki

Yes,yes,yes as long as the kids can kill what they want. I like this idea. Make the adults learn to hold their load. Few years it benefits everyone..

Hell even if we had it here in Ohio every other month of season. That would be cool.

Reactions: Smawgunner

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yes,yes,yes as long as the kids can kill what they want. I like this idea. Make the adults learn to hold their load. Few years it benefits everyone..

Hell even if we had it here in Ohio every other month of season. That would be cool.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. What do you mean by "make the adults hold their load"? Antler point restrictions are not going to help Ohio. Not when you have two year old 8 points everywhere. There also aren't a whole lot of older guys shooting one year old spike bucks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I don't think it's necessary in Ohio .

One benefit I do see tho is it would force people to take better shots . Instead of just seeing deer and/or antlers and throwing up and shooting having to verify points would force people to take better shots .

One would think, but since we’re using Pa as a model, that doesn’t seem too be happening over there.

Floki

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. What do you mean by "make the adults hold their load"? Antler point restrictions are not going to help Ohio. Not when you have two year old 8 points everywhere. There also aren't a whole lot of older guys shooting one year old spike bucks.

I just think it would be beneficial to the kids.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I agree completely. I’ve actually never seen a spike in my part of the state. Not in person or on camera. Even the little bucks(most anyway) here have 3-4 points on a side. So if there were point restrictions here 95% of the bucks I see would be legal anyway.

If I do see a spike and have a buck tag I might be tempted to shoot it just because I’ve never seen one!

Definitely against the idea in general. If someone takes a kid out for a buck and they have to keep passing bucks I think that hurts the next generation of deer hunters too. For some people it’s hard to even see a deer at all. Much rather see them restrict does so those areas have more deer.

Last edited:
Reactions: reo

Lundy

No, no, no, hunting is not and should never be about antler size. Every hunter gets to set their own personal point restrictions. They get to choose what meets their personal minimum requirement. I really hope that never changes

Schu72

Streetsboro
Something needed done in PA, unfortunately you can't ask a deer his age before you shoot him. Coming up with some antler restriction was the only enforceable way to reduce the number of yearling bucks killed and to help restore a healthier age structure of male deer in PA. You can get into the big debate over how this will degrade the genetics long term, but something needed to happen. Maybe the culture there has changed enough to modify the restrictions or remove them?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
No, no, no, hunting is not and should never be about antler size. Every hunter gets to set their own personal point restrictions. They get to choose what meets their personal minimum requirement. I really hope that never changes
Agreed

Reactions: Mike

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Your best restriction is limited tags. No hurry to fill the one tag because your waiting for the right deer.

I’ve hunted other states. Were there is limited tags, it usually equates to more mature deer. My mindset is Ive got a good chance at an older deer so I will pass younger deer because my chances are higher for a mature buck.

Here where I live you get 6 tags. 3 doe tags, 2 buck tags and one either tag. I usually don’t get selective till my either tag. Usually has to be a beast. Yes I eat tags every year but not everyone has the same mindset.

This past weekend both me and my son passed on spikes on public.

Reactions: Isaacorps