Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any .25-06 shooters out there???

Matt

Norton, OH
I took my dad's Remington 700 to the range on Saturday. Dang what a sweet-shooting gun. It's got a Simmons 4-12x scope on it, and once I got it dialed in I was pegging clay pigeons set up at 200 yards. Also falling victim were a few pop cans at about 150, 100, and 125. Oh and a few bowling pins and some juice boxes. Best thing is, the thing was hitting practically dead on from 25 yards to 200 yards (max of the range). Love it! Dad is gonna let me hang on to it for a while to peg some groundhogs and yotes (if I can).

A question though: ammo seems hard to come by (aside from online) and expensive. I policed most of my brass shooting and was wondering if anyone reloads this round. Or, if someone near me in Portage County would let me buy some dies and use their reloading equipment. Stuff's expensive!!!!

Matt,
I have a Stevens model 200 in .25-06 and love its' accuracy and power. :smiley_bril:

I suggest purchasing your own reloading accessories...over a period of time.
Things you'll need:
* A Lee Challenger press is around $50 (Midway USA).
* RCBS dies are $29.99 (Midway USA).
* RCBS scale with 130gr. capacity $46.99 (Midway USA).
* Reloading trays are around $5
There are other small items that you'll want/need, like Case-Card ammo boxes for your loaded ammo, bullets, powder, primers, etc. You may want to purchase some unprimed brass later. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have more than one reloading manual.

I posted the above items from Midway USA, as a guideline, because you may be able to find them for less at a local gun shop or other online sources. :smiley_bril:

The reasons I reload:
* I always have an extremely accurate load.
* It costs less over a period of time.
* I never have to resight my rifle in, due to a different lot number on a box of ammo.
* A better selection of bullet weights. Loaded ammo does NOT always have the bullet weight that shoots best in a particular rifle or one that I want to use for my application.

You can build your own reloading bench from a Black & Decker Workmate. I've got about $80 in this one.

I hope this info helps! :smiley_blink:
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Great post 57, very informative. I've always contemplated getting started in reloading, but have never made the plunge. I don't shoot near as much as I used to, but always thought it would be fun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i will be the first to say when Bowhunter57 or Buckrun do something, they don't do it halfway. They know their reloading stuff!

Thanks, for the "attaboy", guys. Just trying to make it easy for everyone else to get into reloading...without making all the mistakes or purchasing all the unnecessary "stuff" that goes with any hobby. :smiley_blink: This unit is portable and if it wasn't so far, I'd drive over and show anyone the short-cuts.

Matt

Norton, OH
Bowhunter, next time I am up in West Harbor, mind if I stop by? Lol! Nice setup man! Not too bad on startup cost either... I was shooting Federal 85 grain with the nosler ballistic tip. Also some soft-tip Remington in 90 grain. Both hit about the same spot within 200 yards. The Federal shot pretty sweet.

Matt,
The same goes for you as it does for anyone else...call first, so you catch me at home. :smiley_bril: You're welcome to stop by anytime.

One thing that I forgot to mention in the list, is a Lee Hand Primer. They're very handy for priming brass and very affordable too.

I tried to find some 75gr. Hornady V-Max bullets, when I first started reloading, but they were too hard to find. I settled for some 87gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and they're very accurate. Speer makes a nice 90gr. bullet that's devistating on g-hogs and coyotes.

I use my .25-06 for coyotes and a few g-hogs. It has a Nikon 3x9x40 on it, which gets the job done, but I'd like to set a nice 4x16 on it...to get the full potiential of this cartridge. A .25 has the same ballistics as a .22-250...it just uses more lead and powder to get the job done. :smiley_blink:

Last edited: