Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone ever buy or sell a shoulder mount

Bigcountry40

I bet I have 50 billiard trophy's in my moms attic. Half have Dad's name on them, half are mine. Probably another dozen big ass team Bar trophy's. So I wont totally hijack here, I know there is a market for deer mounts. A lot of people like to hang them in businesses or man caves whether they shot them or not. From what I have seen, the bigger the antlers, the higher the price, as long as it's quality work. AS others said, no way would I take a loss on what I paid for them

I have have boxes full of high school and college awards, literally have no idea what to do with them. I can't throw them out, but I hate the space they take up. IDK

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
YOu might try sending a PM to Buckslayer. I believe he dabbles in buying and selling some taxidermy and sheds.

Personally, I'd have trouble parting with mine. Although I have one at the taxidermist right now and not sure where I will be putting him. A house addition to make our garage a 3 car garage with heated floors and trophy room/man cave over head has been discussed. I haven't tried to figure the cost of the project yet but it sounds like $40-50k for what I want to do (if I had to guess). Maybe this is why I haven't tried to figure the costs? lol

I've been to a few antler auctions and the real value is in the racks only. No one seems to care about the actual mount, however high quality mint condition mounts can and will increase your value. Not to be a downer, but you will never get what your taxidermist charged you to mount the deer. I know taxidermists who sell unpaid mounts for the cost of supplies plus a few dollars. Usually around $100-$150. If you can find someone offering $200 or more per mount you shouldn't hesitate if you really want to sell. I haven't paid over $100 for a mounted deer yet. The money is in racks over 170 and sheds over 80 inches. Best of luck, if you can find a business or businessman looking to decorate an office or cabin you may hit the lottery.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been to a few antler auctions and the real value is in the racks only. No one seems to care about the actual mount, however high quality mint condition mounts can and will increase your value. Not to be a downer, but you will never get what your taxidermist charged you to mount the deer. I know taxidermists who sell unpaid mounts for the cost of supplies plus a few dollars. Usually around $100-$150. If you can find someone offering $200 or more per mount you shouldn't hesitate if you really want to sell. I haven't paid over $100 for a mounted deer yet. The money is in racks over 170 and sheds over 80 inches. Best of luck, if you can find a business or businessman looking to decorate an office or cabin you may hit the lottery.

Good info Seth... Figured if anyone had some info it'd be you... Thanks for sharing....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Heres one on ebay now.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-10-Poi...904109?hash=item2829148b6d:g:JIIAAOSwUKxYe6jm

But very important.... Each state has laws about selling mounts etc... A lot of states its illegal to do.. I believe its ok in an estate sale or a taxidermist might be able to sell mounts that no one came back for and hes stuck with... So do some research on the laws first so you don't get a knock on your door... I guess you could always sell "THE ARROW" you harvested it with for lets say $500 and throw the mount in...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good info Seth and Rich!

Personally I couldn't sell even my smallest buck mount. Just too many good memories in all of them to let go but I understand your dilemma. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good info Seth and Rich!

Personally I couldn't sell even my smallest buck mount. Just too many good memories in all of them to let go but I understand your dilemma. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ric... I couldn't sell any of mine either...

OO2

In the Uplands
I can't wait to get my first one back. Lots of memories in it. I could see why wall space would be an issue. To each his own.

I ended up selling one in a garage sale a couple summers ago. Never ever would have thought I would do that and still question myself because of the memories. It was a small funky buck I killed up in Michigan. Just kept moving it from wall to wall then in a closet. Got to looking at it and it was cracking around the eyes and getting a bit rough looking as it was a cheaply done mount. Was told it was because of the tanning process. Patched it up some with some spackle, a little black magic marker and it looked better. Sold for much less than I had into it. Figured if someone would appreciate it and enjoy looking at it I might as well let it go.