Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone here shooting the CVA 50cal ELR powerbelts?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Is anyone here using the ELR (extreme long range) powerbelts from CVA?

If so, have you put them through an animal yet? How did they do?

A buddy of mine shot a doe with one this season and it acted hit. Tail down and twitching, flat out run, no bounding or blowing.

Absolutely zero blood or hair anywhere. We looked for that deer all day and found nothing. For me, personally, I will never shoot a powerbelt of any type because of their crappy reputation with terminal performance.

What have you all seen?

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I've been on multiple muzzleloader forums and there's no end to the amount of bad terminal performance posts with Powerbelts mentioned in them. 🙄 🚫
Unfortunately, I purchased 2 packages of the 250 gr. Aerolite bullets. :cautious: ....and yes, they're for sale.
I decided to go with the Hornady SST FTX bullets and I'm very happy with their performance. 💯

$40 cash ONLY. Purchased them from Vance's. Never opened.
Power Belt.jpg

Reactions: Tipmoose

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have never shot them mainly due to the the experiences of many on here with them.

@Jackalope had to toss a large portion of a deer away because of poor performance iirc

Yep. Threw out a whole deer because of powerbelts exploding. Still ticks me off. 😅. I cut and trimmed that whole deer and I'm picky about fat and silver skin. Cut everything in strips to better go through the grinder. Ground everything and weighed it to 1lb packages and vacuum sealed. When cleaning the grinder I found shards of copper behind the grinder plate. 🙄.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hornady 240 gr XTP HP pistol bullets with a black mag express sabot. Best I've found for ease and consistency of loading and accuracy. Good terminal performance and not super impacted by light brush and grass if need be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221219-195421_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221219-195421_Chrome.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 71
  • TC8246-240GR-HP-117008246__18771.jpg
    TC8246-240GR-HP-117008246__18771.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 73
Ohio
One bad experience with powerbelts. Fortunately found the deer. Bullet never expanded. Did shoot through a small sapling and killed a deer once with a powerbelt. Switched to Barnes tmz several years ago. Patterned great with my tc inline. Every deer I’ve shot since (at least 5+) have dropped in their tracks.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Barnes TMZ or TEZ - best muzzy bullets made. Powerbelts absolutely suck, Shockwaves are decent but I and others had bad luck with blood trails. Barnes are accurate and devastating. Not to pimp my YouTube channel, but check out the blood trails from 2 does I shot the same sit a few years ago. Stevie Wonder could follow them.
I started with TMZ but switched to TEZ as the sabot is a tad bit thinner. And easier to push down the barrel.

Barnes 290 TMZ blood trail - muzzleloader

Barnes 290 TMZ blood trail - muzzleloader