Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone ice fishing on inland ponds, lakes, etc.?

I'm anxious to get out and try this ice fishing thing, as this will be my first time. I've always had my best success on farm ponds, in the warmer months. I would imagine that success would continue on the ice.

Has anyone been out on local ponds, lakes, etc.?
How thick was the ice and approx. where were you in the state?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I am in the NW part of the state. I drilled a hole in my pond last Thursday and the ice was about 4" thick. I haven't tried any fishing yet though, maybe this weekend.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think just about everything in the north half of the state has fishable ice right now. I was browsing for new ice gear pretty hard last night on Cabelas.com!!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I drove across Lake Milton today and there was a guy out in the middle of the lake sitting on a bucket..... I like to fish. I like to eat fish. I just get puckered up though thinking about walking waaaaay out there on that ice.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
There was 5" plus on my pond last week, I would guess at least 6"or more now. I am still chasing deer so I have not fished yet but I am getting my gear rounded up. I am in the NW part of the state. I also saw a guy out in the middle of a 5+ acre pond on the way home from work today. I think most of the small stuff around here is good to go.

Curran said:
I drove across Lake Milton today and there was a guy out in the middle of the lake sitting on a bucket..... I like to fish. I like to eat fish. I just get puckered up though thinking about walking waaaaay out there on that ice.
Curran,
I feel your pain, brother. Makes my balls cringe, just thinking of going through the ice. :smiley_baby: I've been on www.iceshanty.com and reading everything that I can pick up from the "pros", about safety.

So far, I have an ice chisel to poke through the ice...testing as I go, an extended rope for my sled (sled yet to be purchased) the longer rope allows your stuff to NOT get dumped in the water, if you go through and perhaps become a source of getting out, zip lock baggies for my cell phone and wallet and I'll be wearing snowshoes with ice cleats. Thought about leaving some bread crumbs, along the way. :smiley_chinrub:

The rest of what I'm dragging along is fishing stuff (pole & jigs), a hub-style groundblind, propane heater and an ice auger. Back in the trunk of my car is blanket, that has a full set of clothes to change into, in case I take a swim. Ohh...and an extra set of testicles, should mine freeze and fall off, before I get back to the car. :smiley_crocodile:

I have most of the tools that I need, but will have to wait until the "silly season" passes, so that I don't bump heads with various family members. I'll be going by Wally World, after payday, to pick up a sled and then I'll be striking out on a farm pond or two to try my luck. :smiley_bril:

Good hunting/fishing, Bowhunter57

rrr

Yup, drove across Lake Milton today TOO on my way home, a good group of guys out there.

Crazy.

Well, I did it! I went out to a friend of mine's farm pond, dug a hole, dropped in my line, jigged about 10 seconds and pulled out a 14" largemouth bass. :smiley_bril: It took me about another 10 minutes before pulling out a 9" bluegill and shortly after that a 7" bluegill.

I love this stuff and will definately be going back for more. :smiley_bril: I feel like a kid with a new toy. The new 6" ice auger worked like a charm and was much easier to use than I'd thought. By the way...the ice was 5" thick.

It seemed like the fish shut down and stopped biting, when it got dark. :smiley_chinrub:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice to hear you were able to get out and have some success, man. I can't wait to get out there myself!

badger

*Supporting Member*
Congrats on your success!

If you keep the blades on that auger protected from dings and what not, it will drill ice like butter. On the other hand, dull blades can be your worst friend out there.