Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrow Weight Choices

I have 2 arrow weight choices for whitetail deer hunting, this fall.
* Both have perfect flight.
* All shots at deer will be inside 15 yards.
* Sharpened single bevel broadheads are being used.
*** The bow being used: 19" Satori riser with Uukha Gobi short limbs, 44# at my DL.

#1 Gold Tip Hunter XT 500 spine at 29", 175 gr. tip weight, 4" feathers.
TAW 430 with 16% FOC. This is 9.7 grains per pound.

#2 Gold Tip Traditional 400 spine at 29", 250 gr. tip weight, 4" feathers, 100 gr. internal tip weight.
TAW 665 with 25% FOC. This is 15.1 grains per pound.

Which arrow would you use for hunting purposes only and why? :unsure:

Jamie

Ohio
Heavier is always better for hunting. ALWAYS. The object of this game is to achieve maximum penetration because two holes or complete pass-throughs are better than no exit hole. Being able to smash through bones instead being stopped or getting a few more inches of penetration on a marginal hit can make be the difference between recovering the animal or not.

Beyond that, heavy arrows make traditional bows more efficient. The physical manifestations of this are less vibration (not to be confused with "hand shock" which is something else entirely) in the handle and a quieter, often much quieter, bow. Noise and vibration are both wasted energy not being spent to propel the arrow.

All that said, 9-10 grains per pound is considered by most modern archers to be "heavy". 15 gpp is excessive for deer sized game, but right on for dangerous game or really huge, tough animals. Personally I like my arrows to be 10-12 gpp.

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
i have been using carbon for years, but i started out with aluminum 25 years ago, so i just bought some eastons for my longbow this year, think they're right at 13 gpi, with weighted insert,175gr razor head, wraps, feathers, and lighted nock I should be close to the 700gr range..gonna give the heavy arrow craze a try this year. this traditional journey has been a whole new learning/experimenting phase for me. but it has rekindled a stagnant era in my hunting career. super excited this year.

While shooting the #2 arrow at an archery event, this past weekend, I noticed that even inside 15 yards, yardage estimation is critical. :cautious: So much so, that I decided to go a different direction with a "happy medium" on the #1 arrow.
I added 70 grains of internal shaft weight to get a 500 TAW and 23% FOC, which will give me a 11 gpp arrow. These arrows still fly great and hit at the same point of impact, out to 25 yards. (y)
I can't help myself, when it comes to experimenting with arrows. :sneaky:

Jamie

Ohio
I guess it is worth noting that there should be some "happy medium" compromise between arrow speed and weight for hunting so our arrows don't drop 6" at 10 yards. A 1000 grain arrow going 80 ft/sec is not good for deer hunting. Probably works fine for a Moose or Hippopotamus, though. ;)