Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Athens Co kill(s)

mrex

*Supporting member*
I will say this about turkeys after this weekend. I'm 100% convinced if I got my ass out of bed every morning for two-three weeks straight, I could kill two birds pretty routinely after a few more go 'rounds.

If you could channel a quarter of the passion you have for deer into turkey I'm 100% convinced you'd tag out in 2 or 3 days routinely.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Not an Athens county kill, but more of a "flatlands" kill not too far from the house. Joined another buddy of mine on a hunt on a piece of property out our back door that he gained access to several years ago. Birds were on fire! Makes me wonder why we drive down South all the time. No need to roost this bird, he did more than enough gobbling on the limb and the thick ground cover allowed us to get within 150 yards of this bird on the roost. Gobbled all the way to the gun. First bird I witnessed to be shot with #7 hevi shot and boy did it put the smack down on the bird.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 181

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to ruffle your feathers Hickslawn. I thought we were free to post turkey kills on here as I did before and nobody said anything. I'll stop posting pics since MRex is the only one allowed to post pics on this particular thread.

I do enjoy turkey season......been the best one I have experienced in years.

You're fine. No feathers ruffled in the process. Must have read too far into things. Just thought it was an Athens county kill thread. I am not sure MRex has even killed a turkey yet. Glad you are having a great turkey season.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Not an Athens County kill, but more of a “Somalia” kill not too far from Mogadishu.

…we thought we heard a “muffled” gobble right off of the roost…

We circled around to try and get ground on him but as soon as we crested the rise, we were confronted by a herd of cape buffalo and they were open for business!

I sent my trusty assistant Jim in to herd the buffalo away from the bird…haven’t heard back from Jim.

After nine setups, this 150# bird finally made a mistake…

…back to Athens County. My oldest son Ryan hasn’t got to hunt much this season. He has class every morning and works part time at our local Lowes in the evenings and on weekends. He informed me last night that his morning classes had been cancelled for today and asked if he could call a bird up for me this morning as it is my birthday. I said “sure.” We had nothing roosted last night as I hadn’t planned on hunting today. We started in an area that I hadn’t been to since the preseason. We heard one distant bird on the roost. We got on a bird around 8:00 am but couldn’t do anything with him. At 10:30 am, Ryan made my bird gobble and he was in the truck 10 minutes later. On the ride home, we stopped at a couple public spots where hunters had been parked at first light but had since left. At 11:10 am Ryan’s bird gobbled and the hunt lasted about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

mrex

*Supporting member*
Thanks fellas. It really was a great way to start the day. The first bird we got on at 8:00 was actually the most fun to hunt. Had the safety off 3 times...looking forward to doing battle with him again.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yeah! Congratulations on the double with your son. That is an awesome birthday gift!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Happy birthday, and congratulations again!
Nice touch with the non-Athens county hunt too. Very interesting. Sorry to hear about Jim, hope some remains are found to bury.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Here's Ryan and I exactly 11 years ago today...he's aged a lot more than I have...:)