Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Attention Parents: Active kids? ADD/ADHD? Listen up

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just a little more update for those interested. Garrett is going once a week to his vision therapy. He is showing steady signs of improvement. The biggest benefit I have seen so far is his willingness to read. His reading fluency has improved as well. He used to really dislike reading, but now when you tell him to read for 20min or 30min he jumps right on it! He is also now reading "At grade level". For a month of therapy, we feel just catching up to his grade level is a huge leap. He was not terribly behind, but not quite where he needed to be prior to this.

Something else I should note, I have had several PM's from people. I am thankful that I put this post up. It appears to be a common issue and not something many schools or doctors check out. I am glad several have jumped in on this thread or PM'd me. I know it is difficult to see your child struggle and not know why. I am glad it has been some consolation and we can share our experiences together. Let's face it, we work our tails off in efforts to provide our children with a better life than we had. It is frustrating to watch them struggle. Sometimes it is good to know we are not alone. We know our kids have the potential. Helping them reach their potential when they are held back by something like this is very rewarding as a parent.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Super glad Garretts improving Phil! Great news!

This is why this site is so great, sharing issues like this can really open doors for others struggling with the same or closely related problems.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It has been a couple weeks again since I have updated this topic. Not saying people are begging for updates, but I know several were following this thread. I know this update will put a smile on the face of all the baseball fans. Most importantly, I cannot say enough how proud of him I am!

School: We are continuing to see improvement. He is currently "at grade level". Erin bumped into his teacher and had a conversation with her. His teacher was ecstatic at his improvement. She told Erin there was no doubt in her mind Garrett is ready for third grade. This is a huge consolation for us.

Extra curricular activities: Riding his motorcycle. Garrett did not show any major differences in his abilities over last year. However, he has only ridden once this spring. He was able to kick start the bike on his own which was a new treat for me. Then again, he has grown quite a bit since last year and might have achieved this anyway. Some of it is due to better coordination. This brings me to baseball! I know we have some big time baseball fans out there! Garrett's hand eye coordination has more than doubled since last year. He is hitting like a true slugger! I cannot take credit for this. I was never a power hitter and we have not practiced much outside of his team practices. His fielding has also improved tremendously! No doubt some of it is physical maturation. I credit some of it to his improved vision though. While he refuses to wear his glasses while playing (because he is afraid he might break them), he has shown exponential improvement in his fielding. For example, last year they put him on first base to try him out in one of his first practices. I think his glove completely missed the ball once or twice. Next, the poor kid took one right to the eyeball. His hand eye coordination was darn near nonexistent. This year they are working with him at first base. Not sure he will end up playing first base, but to see the coach working with him at first base shows exponential improvement over last season.

I will try to update periodically for anyone interested. My wife and I are so proud of him, words cannot express. This has been very rewarding to watch him improve.

lucycarter

Great read! These days active kids are often mislabeled ADD/ADHD and placed on medication that just makes the situation worse. If you are not sure if your child may struggle with ADD/ADHD please refer to the list of the below symptoms:

1. Seems to be fidgeting all the time
2. Difficulty remaining seated
3. Running or climbing at inappropriate times
4. Violent
5. Frequently feeling irritable
6. Avoids schoolwork
7. Answering a question before the speaker has finished
8. Failure to await one's turn
9. Interrupting the activities of others
10. Impulsive spending

It's important for parents to be able to spot the signs and symptoms, and get help for their child. ADD/ADHD can continue to cause people's lives to fall apart if not treated successfully for a lifetime.

I would also like to share these tips for parents of ADD/ADHD teens which may help to get them through the turbulent teenage years.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great read! These days active kids are often mislabeled ADD/ADHD and placed on medication that just makes the situation worse. If you are not sure if your child may struggle with ADD/ADHD please refer to the list of the below symptoms:

1. Seems to be fidgeting all the time
2. Difficulty remaining seated
3. Running or climbing at inappropriate times
4. Violent
5. Frequently feeling irritable
6. Avoids schoolwork
7. Answering a question before the speaker has finished
8. Failure to await one's turn
9. Interrupting the activities of others
10. Impulsive spending

It's important for parents to be able to spot the signs and symptoms, and get help for their child. ADD/ADHD can continue to cause people's lives to fall apart if not treated successfully for a lifetime.

I would also like to share these tips for parents of ADD/ADHD teens which may help to get them through the turbulent teenage years.

Thanks for your input Lucy. Ironically, our son fits most of these categories but does NOT have ADD/ADHD. This was the reason I posted this info. He has an eye tracking problem which causes his outbursts. In the 6-8wks he has been in therapy we have witnessed a noticeable change. His teachers have commented on noticing his improved focus as well. This was part of my point. Not every active child can be labeled as ADD/ADHD and regulated with medication. Our son has different lenses in his glasses, attends vision therapy, and is NOT on medication. He also has NOT been labeled by his teachers due to his behaviors.